www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Here's an update on the current situation there. I know many people are very interested in the redesigned course's re-installation.

A year ago was when this re-installation was supposed to happen. The first delay was when the wetland vegetation the county spent a lot of money on didn't "take" last spring. Therefore they replanted, two more times, and are keeping that fence around the water up until at least 2-3 more weeks from now.

In addition to a difficult winter to be out doing design or installation work, mid-winter the city parks planner we had been working with took a job with the county. With half of the city planners gone, the remaining planner's time was stacked pretty bad and still is.

A summer intern has started, a young woman named Lauren, who is a landscape design major at the University of Michigan. She, Amy Kuras the remaining parks planner (who is responsible on the city side for the first city course at Brown Park, more than 15 years ago), Sheila, and I walked the course and I described in in detail - while we were asking each other questions to get a clear understanding of what could and could not work or be done.

Lauren is going to gather up the details of all of the pieces of the course that have yet to be purchased, plus all of the installation labor and equipment. When she does that, she and Amy will write a detailed Request for Bids and post it for bids. She's also working on a rough map of the course which will undoubtedly be far more beautiful than anything I could make.

Lauren got almost enough details to do it all today, from me, but still needs me to work up my estimates on what additional signage - like warnings or signs to the next tee - is needed, as well as an ideal list of what we would want for additional 2-3" caliper trees, and benches. We probably won't get everything, but we will definitely make out a "best case" list. I'm hoping I can find time to work that out yet tonight.

The above can proceed while we are waiting for the county to take the fence down.

At some point in the not too distant future, the city's internal forestry guys will clear out Holes 8-10 and 17. They will leave the removal of the very large dead trees as something to be bid out in the winter, when the ground will be firmer and the bids likely lower.

When the fence comes down, I will mark the water holes very clearly and put out a call for people to come out and throw them and provide feedback, during maybe a window of a week, or even just a weekend. Once I have that feedback I can finalize those holes and help Lauren write a more detailed set of specifications for the winning bidder for the clearing, tees, and baskets.

BTW, the tees will be at least as large as the ones at The Ponds course, there will be two pads on each hole, and they may even be trapezoidal. A couple of the "heritage" pads from the Brown Park course will be still in use for this new course, and Hole 7, short Holes 8 and 10, and Hole 11 long will use heritage tee pads. The other pads from the old course will not be removed, at our request, so they can contribute to safari holes.

I expect that how quickly the selected bidder can be given the details - and then how quickly his equipment and crew can be ready to do the installation of baskets and tees - will vary depending on a number of factors. I wouldn't say that I guarantee the course will be in before July, but I expect it to be in in late June, or it could be even September, but it will be this year.

So, that's a pretty lengthy status report. Comments are welcome.

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

plan/budget/estimate for care of any new plantings/trees. this is often not in a budget and then plants die. thanks for the info
Glad to hear there's some good news surrounding this thing now. Would love to have another local course open again.
I just want to play mbd ive never played there wish i could have
used to work 2 minutes away from brown, how i have missed it
As excited as I am to hear this I am (like most people that have been waiting to revisit Brown) in a I will believe it when I am playing it mode. I know that good things come to those who wait so I am not upset and I would rather wait for the course to be planned properly rather than rushed.
it is just so hard to wait. I'm a very impatiant person. Suspence kills me.
I'll bring that up, Mark. Thanks.
i could show you around the holes that are laid out,if you don't know
you seem patient when you're working with me.
the health of trees in the nursery and how they are dug,transported and stored till planting really makes a difference and doesn't show right away.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968