www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

[original deleted]
This is the latest (not quite right, but the closest yet) map of the course at Mary Beth Doyle Park and Wetland Preserve. The city is going to plant a lot of trees there, in a way that helps retain some of the old Brown Park's heritage

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

as soon as i get out of the house to go play ill get a pic of each basket i play
The baskets were installed and welded today. So it's playable now. There are also large rebar cross-pieces in the concrete footers, so if you're going to steal them, don't plan on pulling them out of the ground :)

Tomorrow (Saturday) the city forester and a bunch of volunteers will be planting about 100 trees and bushes in strategic positions around tees and baskets.

The signage will take another 3-4 weeks.

I had a 12-hour work day today because my day-job board of directors was in from around North America for meetings today and tomorrow at the Michigan League. (We had a tour of the new U-M Business School building tonight - great views from the 7th floor.) But I had a 1.5-hour break and went out to double-check the stakes marking the positions of the trees to be planted.

I was very happy to see the baskets being welded. I called Ben, and he came over quickly and was the first person to play a full round, although he had to pass a 4-some that got started before he did. He threw -10.

The map above is rough, but it should work for you. Be sure to print it out if you go over, because there isn't any signage yet. Also, if you play tomorrow, Saturday, please be courteous to the volunteers working with the forester, Kay, to plant the trees.

And as the year goes on, please educate other golfers to be nice to the trees: We need them to thrive for this to be the best course it can be.
Thanks for the update Terry. I stopped by and it was awesome to play with the beautiful, shiny new baskets.

Here is a pic of the basket on hole 12. You can see the basketball court and one of the retention ponds in the background.

Nice, Milky. I took some pics, too, but am too tired tonight to post them. I was surprised to see that the city had purchased DGA baskets, because I had thought for sure that they would have gone for Discraft, since it is local.

This hole, 12, was designed to showcase disc golf to the locals walking along the paved walking path below the hill. It looks easy, and permits both a forehand and a backhand throw, but the usual windy conditions and the basket placement on a steep, sloping (potentially roll-away) location make it tougher than you might think.
Went out today and played a few holes. I'm loving holes 8, 12, 15, and 16. So much fun to play. The first 3 holes are short but are great to warm up on. Thanks terry for another great course.
I figure those first three holes are a nice warm-up loop to toss while you're waiting for friends. At one point, what is now 2 and 3 were going to be a single hole, and it can still be played that way safari. There are a number of intentional safari holes:

13 tee to 15 basket;
10 tee to 4 basket;
17 tee to 18 basket;

and so forth, there are definitely more. I haven't had time to sit down with a course map and see if I can put together a set of 9 that play continuous.

Plus, as you can see, we left in the tees from the old Brown Park course because they provide another set of places from which to make up safari holes.
The City of Ann Arbor and a bunch of volunteers, preparing to plant 100 trees and bushes on the course at Mary Beth Doyle Park & Wetland Preserve.

So far hole 12 is my favorite with 7 in a close second (It's hard to get around all those trees but it feels so damn good when you do!)

Can't wait to finally play it with baskets! Too bad it will be a busy week for me. Maybe early Tuesday before I go to school and study for Mid-Terms...
I jumped in on a good old-fashioned mob round at Mary Beth Doyle tonight. By the time we finished there were 12 of us plus a dog. Felt like the old Brown Park days again.

We've started figuring out a couple safari holes, and long tees on holes where they don't currently exist.

The new trees lost most of their leaves over the weekend. I hope they make it through the winter.
I now have 4 rounds under my belt from the long tees. My nutshell review: I remain disappointed with the loss of the 5 holes around the water and the subsequent compromise that caused some other good holes to be divvied up into 2 or more holes. Nonetheless, there are some good holes and lots of shorter ace runs that will keep your 160 - 225' game nice and tuned up. There is always seems to be some wind at this course which is good for putting practice.

Long tees: Best holes: 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 15, 16, & 18. Straight ace runs: 1, 2, 3, 13, 14, 18. More technical ace runs: 8, 11, 12, 17. When the wind blows like yesterday, the course definitely toughens up some.

There are definite opportunities to lengthen some of the easy holes safari-style although once the course gets more busy, those will definitely diminish. The junction of 10's basket, 11's tee, and 14's tee remains a danger area, watch out for flying discs when on these tees.

A great course to bring newbies or distanced-challenged players. Also the best course around for mob golf.
Just wanted to post my idea for an alternate course.
#1- parking lot to basket 1
#2- pad 2 to basket 3
#3- pad 10 to basket 4
#4- pad 9 to basket 3
#5- pad 3 to basket 12
#6- pad13 to basket10
#7- pad 10 to basket 14
#8- old pad near basket 16 to basket 14
#9- pad 17 to basket 18
Anyone have a map of the original brown park?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968