www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

why is it that the japan open only allows players to use <160 gram discs?

Tags: discraft, discs, gateway, innova, japan, lightweight, open

Views: 156

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

safety.....apparently. 159.9 max weight
i love my japan open discs . my friends all want to hold my 132g r pro boss , they don't believe a disc can be that light .
that would really throw my game off, i dont know if i would be able to find discs that i like in such light weights.
Safety is first.
Japan has few courses of the closed unlike U.S.A.
It was weight to 152.2g before.
This class is called 150class.
It is said 150open class to 159.9g.
It is decided which class you hold it in every meeting place in Japan.
Heavy Disc has been used before in Japan.
I have used Disc of 170g before, too.
It is hard to look for Disc equal to or less than 159.9g.
There are few kinds, and there is little amount, too.
It may be good than I look for Disc equal to or less than, 152.2g.
don't understand the safety factor. please explain a little more, safety because it highly populated or cuz the discs will injure someone or what?
Well..knowing the Japanese, they probably hukked discs at people to see what weights sent less people to the ER.

Woulda made a great MXC or Survival! episode fo sho
I guess it's all in what you are used to throwing... for you and me that is light, but for some one used to 150 class to throw a 175g... that would just seem crazy!
I've been throwing 150cl since I've moved to Japan. At first it was weird throwing light stuff, especially putters. The disc performs the same way that it would if it were in the 170s. The thing that changes is your form. My form became much more compact with more emphasis on snap. Now I don't think I'll ever go back to throwing the heavy weights like I used too.
The big problem is what Buchi stated before. Lack of 150 discs. There are moulds I want to try, but they aren't available. Innova has a wide variety which is good. Plus I pretty much know what I like to throw, and it's cool that I can score 150 CE Leopards, Teebirds, and Rocs cheaper than the heavier weights.
Jaime is correct. The weight limit is a safety precausion. Most courses here are not disc golf only courses. So many times in the summer people will be picnicing in the fairways, and the people in your group take turns forming a human barracade in front of them. Evidently, a 150cl disc hurts less than a heavier one. I can't wrap my brain around that one.
I love that the Japanese will go out of their way to be polite to people in this kind of situation. I would have never thought to form a human barricade around a group of "picnicer's." We just politely explain to people that they are putting themselves in harms way by being on the fairway.
I was playing a tournament last weekend and A guy told me there that anything over 159.9 grams was considered a weapon when playing disc golf in Japan.
If you're going to take one in the chops..would you rather it be David's 132 R plastic or someones 175 gram Champion Boss.

...the correct answer is neither ! ...but you get the point...or is it edge?? .........damn!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968