www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

why is it that the japan open only allows players to use <160 gram discs?

Tags: discraft, discs, gateway, innova, japan, lightweight, open

Views: 152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've taken a 173gram Valkyrie to the collar bone. It wasn't that bad...didn't even take me off my feet. Plus i've seen a bunch of buddies of mine take some sick shots to the head or caught a mean ricochet from a tree 10 ft off the tee pad. But I can see that if a disc were to hit some place vital it could quite possibly cause significant damage...
To some cultures, if it can be thrown, it can be a weapon. The word disc undoubtedly comes from the Latin word discus...which we relate to the Olympic sport..an event since the very beginning of the Olympiad and as far back as ancient Greece...some several hundred years before Christ.

If they were throwing it in ancient times, it was a weapon of some sort. I'm sure there were many variations of a thrown weapon like a disc throughout the centuries.

In Hindu text or scripture, which has it roots in the east...it was known as a Chakra.... a most deadly weapon. It was serrated and bad ass.
Like the turbo putt? I bet you could sharpen the nubs on one of those to make it lethal.
or the raging inferno DT when their beat in they start looking serrated .
but back to 160g anyone ever see a 160g roc ? i have only seen 180G .
Awesome: lulz ^

BTW: Already lethal...to your score
Nope. Maybe They are out there, but they are few if any. I have several 158 DX Rocs. The Star and Champ Rocs they make for the Japan Open generally weigh around 153.
I hate myself for saying this, but head to Walmart. I don't buy discs there, but they have all sorts of light weight rocs at our store at leasts. They are generally 145-160g.

Non walmart, rocs in in the mid 170s are pretty common. Tournament stamped rocs are generally 180g though.

Oh, just found this: http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_displayProduct.php?p=26&PPQT...

They've got a few 160g dx rocs.

BTW the 150g rocs are not really less stable than the heavier ones. I bought a bunch for a school program thinking they'd be good beginner discs in light weights. I was wrong.
That's a big misconception that people, including myself, initially make about 150cl. Everything throws the same. Stable moulds are stable, the glide is different though.
Here, you would be in the wrong asking them to move due to the fact that it's not ONLY a disc golf course. So we have to human-barricade. It's cool though, because I would hate to hit a buddy from the group!
Thanks for the link, but, 160 is too heavy. The limit is 159.9, and trust me, when tournament time rolls around, that .1 makes a difference. And 159.9, Open Class, is only for certain tournys. Half the scheduelle is 152.0 max. I've had discs that I bought Stateside that were a point off and got rejected. All discs bought outside of Japan must be weighed and stamped prior to tee-off. At the Tokyo Open last year, I lost my three main drivers and main putter prior to first day Tee-off for a .1-.2 gram infraction.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968