www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Ok I started the year with a crappy 811 rating from one tournament last year. When. The new rating come out I am now a 890. I have won one tournament and placed 4th in the next 2. All the guys i play with are wanting me to move up. I have been playing in the rec division. They,say rec is 850 to 900. My question is do I have to move up bow or can I atleast get a couple more rec divisions before I have to. I just don't want people to think I am sand bagging. So fellow disc golfers what should I do. I don't think I am ready for intermediate.

Views: 368

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Up.

You WILL IMPROVE and get Better Quicker by Moving Up. BUT, if you feel your not ready, it's your call. The one thing about this sport is people REALLY like the Sand Bagger term....

Your ready to move up. 

Play Rec until your rating starts with a 9. It's a fallacy that players play better by playing up. Players get better by practicing.

Move up when you're ready or your rating moves you up. Don't let anyone tell you different. If the other rec players can't beat you then tell them to start practicing. Your rating will move you up eventually.
Thank you everyone for your advice. I believe I am going to practice and improve on this great game. I will move up when my rating makes me move up. I can see where I can probably learn from the higher groups but I know I am not ready.

If everyone would just play their rating you'd always be playing people pretty close to your skill level.  First tourney I played up in I was rated rec and played int.  Did pretty well and then looked online and found that everyone in the int division that tourney was rated below 900 anyway.  So no one was playing any stiffer competition by playing up we just all paid an extra $5 in entry fees, Which was fine with me since I took third.  :-D

Glad you figured it out Michael. Do what YOU are comfortable with! :)

If you win, or do well there are always going to be people who cry "BAGGER!" Move up when your rating makes you move up. The only reason I moved up from rec. was because I turned 50 last year and could play exclusively with guys my own age.(Advanced Grand Master)

By default, stay where your rating puts you.

Don't move up because you believe you'll improve faster, or due to peer pressure.  The former is dubious and the latter is weak.

Do move up if you want to---if you like the challenge of being an underdog, or a larger division (if the case) or the particular people you'll be playing with.  Heck, I used to play "up" on some long courses just to watch people throw 100' further than me (and try to beat them).

The ratings are there for a reason. They are calculated based off of multiple thousands and thousands of rounds.

I don't think that there is any one answer that will fit everyone. I know people who have moved up and it has helped them out. But it's not for everyone. Depends on your motivation.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968