www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Ok I started the year with a crappy 811 rating from one tournament last year. When. The new rating come out I am now a 890. I have won one tournament and placed 4th in the next 2. All the guys i play with are wanting me to move up. I have been playing in the rec division. They,say rec is 850 to 900. My question is do I have to move up bow or can I atleast get a couple more rec divisions before I have to. I just don't want people to think I am sand bagging. So fellow disc golfers what should I do. I don't think I am ready for intermediate.

Views: 369

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Everything I know about behavioral psychology agrees with Chuck's conclusion that it is a fallacy that you get better by playing up.  It would be interesting to test the conclusion mathmatically with PDGA data.  For instance you could plot data from non-Masters aged amateur players with Intermediate ratings from two years ago.  On the y axis plot % occasions of playing up and on the x axis plot change in rating over two years.  Chuck's theory would be confirmed by a declining curve.

We've already shown statistically that the average rating of the group you are playing with does not impact how well you shoot. Climo dominated for all of those years and never played with a group whose rating averaged higher than his.

Climo might not be the best example. He isn't exactly your "average" player.

I wanna go up but do I belong ... Whats my 35 foot putt percentage? How far can I throw? How many shots do I have? And how much experience do I have? Those are the questions I have been trying to complete before I go up after 7 years.

He's just the most extreme example of someone who never got a "break" getting to play with players better than him. Yet they didn't drag him down.

You'd think all those "bagger" threads would refute the notion that you need to play tournaments against better players to improve.  Besides, generally speaking if you move up you only play the first round with better players; after that you're grouped with players who just shot the same as you.

Play what you feel is comfortable for ya now.You'll know.Enjoy the sport for what's it  meant to be..FUN.

The one other thing I would say about moving up to improve your game is this.  For various reasons I sometimes play up from Intermediate.  This past weekend I played up.  I don't see much benefit in playing up unless you play up to a pro division.  Even then, you need to pay attention to what these guys are doing that you are not. 

Won my first tournament and was rated 935-third in the state for ams. I didnt think I was quite worthy of all that. The prize for winning was a free sanctioning.

I think that people tend to take things a bit too seriously when playing tournaments (unless of course you are in the pro divisions). Sometimes people will also say to just go out and have fun. That is true to a point because when I am competing I am very serious about winning. However, you go out and do your best and if you miss a putt don't sweat it. The sun will still rise tomorrow and you will get another chance to compete. You definitely have to have a short memory. And if you are able to keep your concentration and take the bad shots with the good you will be fine and maybe even start winning more.

Develop your strategy, learn to make good decisions and the rest will follow. The whole "what division" thing I don't believe is all that important. Do what feels right for you whether that means moving up or not. In the end it's not going to make a huge difference.

If you move up you will make yourself belong. That is the attitude that you need (confidence). You put in the hard work and it will show. Nothing ever gets handed to you. You have to go out and earn it. And as far as the statistics go they aren't all that important either if you step up and just bang chains. Confidence is more important than questioning yourself.

There are some other factors that might come into play. For example, I play much better when the pace of play is faster, and I play horribly when it is slow. By playing up a division, I usually get to play faster, which improves my score considerably (I also have more fun, too). Of course, there are no guarantees that any division gets to play faster, since depending on the format (shotgun vs tee times, etc.) you could end up behind another card in a lower division that is slow, in which case that particular benefit goes away.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968