www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

My wife's grandmother is turning 90 in January so we're going to take a week and a half off and drive to Georgia to go to the party.

I already have one day planned to go to Augusta and play, and maybe Charleston but not too sure about that yet, may just take the wife to the beach.

We plan on driving out I-20 through Shreveport, LA to Jackson, MS to Montgomery, AL and then up through Atlanta.
On the way back, we're going to visit other family in Tennessee, east of Knoxville and will be headed home along I-40, going through Nashville, Memphis and then Little Rock, AR.

What I'd like to hear from anyone is the absolute must play courses along the way. I will probably only have time for about two or three courses each way so they really have to be awesome courses. I mean like the type of course you listed in your top five in your profile.
Preferably, the type of course that isn't just your local course but one you wouldn't want to miss if you were the one driving through.

One other thing, I wouldn't mind playing with a local golfer either so I could maybe get some additional info as far as lines, blind holes, deep water, you know the kind of stuff that can really cost you extra time on the course.

I remember the first time I went to play in Colorado and picked out the courses I wanted to play. After the second day, I had a couple recomendations on a course that I skipped right over on paper. Now, every time I go to the mountains, it is on my list, I bet I've played Leadville close to ten times now, and it's beautiful with the Maroon Bells in the backdrop.

Thanks for any and all information you give me, I'd rather hear it from you than try to decipher how accurate someone elses description is in the course directory.

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bud Hill defiantly, and Shelby Forest, both in Memphis. Well, north Memphis. Orgill Park too if you get a chance.
Redan park in Atlanta off I-20 exit 71
Earlewood in Columbia off I-20
Lake Olmstead in Augusta off I-20
Cedar Hill in Nashville off I-40
cedar hill in nashville
the sinks in chattanooga
warriors path is kind of out of your way..
Chuck Kennedy said:
Depending on where near Atlanta and time of day it could be 2-3 hours to the IDGC. Make sure to take the shortcut onto Hwy 221 at around exit 185 toward Appling.

thanks Chuck, that's the kind of advise I was looking for as well as course info, I'm gonna try to leave Cumming aring six in the morning too so maybe I can get all three courses in
good stuff so far, don't know how many I'll actually get to play but please keep the info coming...
If you will travel I95, there is a course in Lumberton NC that is worth playing. It is just 1.5 miles off exit 17.
so it looks like we'll be leaving to head out there on Friday afternoon Jan 30th and pretty much driving straight through as her birthday is Sat, Jan 31st, so I may make the drive out to the IDGC on Sunday or Monday but shouldn't be much traffic as I'll be up near Cumming
I also am probably going to try and play another day at Redan, JP Moseley and Sandy Creek
If I get a chance my take the wife to Charleston for a day and beg her to let me play Trophy Lakes, we'll see
But I still need some more ideas for the trip back home, anything worth a srop near Lynchburg, as a Tennessee Squire, it mandates a stop there, and I'm undecided on Warriors Path, The Sinks and Bud Hill
Still looking for a little more help...
Nascar Dave said:
so it looks like we'll be leaving to head out there on Friday afternoon Jan 30th and pretty much driving straight through as her birthday is Sat, Jan 31st, so I may make the drive out to the IDGC on Sunday or Monday but shouldn't be much traffic as I'll be up near Cumming
I also am probably going to try and play another day at Redan, JP Moseley and Sandy Creek
If I get a chance my take the wife to Charleston for a day and beg her to let me play Trophy Lakes, we'll see
But I still need some more ideas for the trip back home, anything worth a srop near Lynchburg, as a Tennessee Squire, it mandates a stop there, and I'm undecided on Warriors Path, The Sinks and Bud Hill
Still looking for a little more help...

Warriors is fun...24 holes, some good up and down shots...some neat looks.... only a few longer holes. Now Winged Deer about 20 minutes from Warriors...10 minutes from Thunder Valley, that is a great course with some very cool holes.
update on the travels to Georgia and Tennessee

I went out to the IDGC on Sunday to play and the headquarters was closed but I still got to play the Steady Ed Memorial and the WR Jackson, which I now refer to more affectionately as the WR Asswhoppin'
Some really pretty golf in a really nice state park, nice elevation changes, the courses were marked well and I had a great time, even though I shot nine over on the day, I was still smiling

I played a good little twenty-seven hole course in Cumming on Monday morning and then went to Alpharetta, and in my opinion, save the time and money, avoid that course, bad design, a bunch of 200' holes and a twelve hundred foot walk between holes eleven and twelve, and and an annoying little creek running through the course.

The Sinks in Chattanooga on Tuesday for three rounds, great course with multiple pin placements and dual tees. Alot of little extras around the course give it a good feel from the locals. Kudos guys, great work.

We drove from Dalton to Mooresburg, Tn on Wednesday, so I didn't play.

Thursday, I played at Kiwanis in Morristown, a nice little technical course, kinda short but fun. Played three rounds and by the third one, everything finally started to thaw out and it got above freezing.

Drove back down to Dalton on Friday so no golf that day either.

On Saturday morning, I drove out to a private course called Hawk's Grove. It's a great little course on a 400 acre working farm located in an old pecan orchid, they are paper-shell and sold on site for $2 / pound. I played mostly by myself, until two farm dogs showed up and walked both rounds with me. It wasn't my favorite course of the trip but probably my most enjoyable. Something about being on a farm and disc golfing, and a couple Sam Adams didn't hurt either.
Ok trophy lakes is a must.If u come to augusta lake olmstead then patriot's park IDGC is cool but 3 courses that are long about a hole day to play all 3.Stephens county/rose lanedgc,lake russell a sweet courses,I play IDGC alot and love it 3 dollors to get in the park and 5 dollars to play all day. have fun.
The Sinks is My home course so its a personal favorite of mine and takes all your shots. Tight Technical and the dual tees and baskets make's it so you can have mild, Spicy, or HOT DAMN! Also, in the Atl I love East Roswell and Central park where they play the big NT the Atlanta Open. REDAN is in Da' Hood and people get robbed so don't go without your Innova Glock. St
I'd recomend Bud Hill in memphis, and yeah redstone in huntsville

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968