www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hey, Thought you all might have some pointers. I started a year ago on disc golf. Then my drives would be released late (my arm float up) and it would sail up on tank left. I corrected it and for awhile I was throwing some good level throws. Now I am back to the same throwing releasing too late.

I know asking for advice might get some comments like, "release it sooner." That is obvious but I have tried but what can I do to mentally correct it or maybe stop this habit?

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Watch your foot work. I had the same issue. I was releasing with a stance that was too open. Result: grip lock everytime.
If your realease point feels comfortable then adjust your starting position. Assuming your RHBH, stand with your feet pointed more towards the left and maintain the same type of footwork and if done correctly this should keep you closed a little longer bettering your release point.
If you use a runup of any kind, it could be that your last step before releasing is too long. I fall into this trap every now and again, and it means you overextend your body and throw the disc way too high, then it stalls and fades. Try and shorten that last step and stay as "upright" as you can through your technique. Our natural instinct tells us that to generate more power we need to huddle up and then release, but this throws a lot of things off, including makig it very hard to get your angle of release right.
If I go more that a couple of weeks with out playing I inevitably have this problem. When ever I do I try to focus on my follow through. If my follow through is flat chances are the disc came out flat as well.
Grip lock/releasing to late is most often the product of throwing WAY to hard. Most new players biggest mistake is to kill the disc every throw. Learn good form, be smooth and back off a little. Throwing hard doesnt translate into more distance, and even if your getting a few more feet it wont mean anything without the accuracy.
go to your local mini or doubles and ask one of the top players if he/she will help you out. If your open to taking advice and criticism, they may be able to help you out better than anyone on these boards .
good luck and keep discing!!
Swan said:
Grip lock/releasing to late is most often the product of throwing WAY to hard. Most new players biggest mistake is to kill the disc every throw. Learn good form, be smooth and back off a little. Throwing hard doesnt translate into more distance, and even if your getting a few more feet it wont mean anything without the accuracy.

!@#$%^&*()_)(*$#@!@#%^&*()(*&^%$#~!@#$%^&*(*&^%$!@#$%^&*(*&^%$#@

Swanny called it. Be smooth. Be clean. Be balanced. With good form and not overthrowing your timing will come with practice.

Don't aim with your eyes. Aim with your mind's eye. Wherever your shoulder is pointing at the moment of release is where your disc is going. Point your shoulder down the center of the fairway. Throwing with accuracy at 80-90% power is not difficult. Throwing with accuracy at 100% power is very hard for the best players in the world and downright foolish to even attempt for most amateurs.

If your normal power range is 300 feet then for you to throw with perfect accuracy and go 350 feet is close to impossible. By throwing smooth, balanced and clean you will throw down the center of the fairway and will still go farther than your average drive (clean form gives great glide). With practice your new form will have you throwing much farther and maintaining accuracy.
I totally agree, I had probs with releasing late, but it felt right, so I basically just started to stand more left and left until I could correct it to release felt good to me as well as good straight drives. Cause I also noticed I was getting longer drives (even though they would end up clear out of bounds).

So basically instead of having my shoulder straight with the front of tee like I used to, my shoulder is more facing like 30-45 degrees to the left ( for backhanders) and seems to make sense to me that I get alittle more swing into my throw too.

Mike Jenkins said:
If your realease point feels comfortable then adjust your starting position. Assuming your RHBH, stand with your feet pointed more towards the left and maintain the same type of footwork and if done correctly this should keep you closed a little longer bettering your release point.
BEST ADVICE there Eric!!!! You have to let some of them know it's okay to be totally honest, you won't flip out. MOST improvement to my drives has been the help of better players seeing my drives and pointing it out to me (cause you can't see yourself driving).

I know I seen somewhere else on a post a guy talking about taking a camcorder with you to record yourself and see your own faults, great idea! (but this would only be good once you know what it takes for a good drive).

Also like Mark Ellis said, main problem of mine and most beginners was I was just trying to throw it as hard as I could, which can be fun at a baseball field or something when practicing. but then I learned it's better to back off some and get down the accuracy over distance. Cause if your clear in right or left and your closer to the basket, but end up with a bad shot. With accuracy you always have a good shot basically, even if your father away from the basket then you like.

eric beich said:
go to your local mini or doubles and ask one of the top players if he/she will help you out. If your open to taking advice and criticism, they may be able to help you out better than anyone on these boards .
good luck and keep discing!!
Are you releasing the disc or letting it rip out of your hands thru force? The disc should be ripped out of your hand. If your disc is going right then you're grip locking it or you're rolling your wrist. If your palm is facing the sky after you've released then that can be the problem as well. Video tape yourself or have someone watch you closely.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968