www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Well, if you remember posts circa Ace Race 2011, I started on a one-man journey to replace the junk baskets at my local DG course. It was discouraging at times, it was fun at times, and now - I can say I succeeded.

I worked with my local Parks and Rec Department, who, fortunately for me have an event coordinator who is heavily supportive of growing disc golf in the community

I organized a fundraising tournament through Innova, ran a league and - very altruistic of me - decided to give back the money I earned as an assistant event coordinator back to the park.

Snell-Crawford Park in Fort Dodge, IA - built in 1977 - still had the same baskets it had when it was first built just a few weeks ago.

Here is a pic showing the tournament turnout (not everyone, we had about 30 - small town, a lot of funds were raised by disc sales), one of the old baskets - keep in mind the tree MISSED - and the new DGA Mach III's we have in place now.

A little activism goes a long way, and I feel great towards helping the local DG community grow.

Tags: Activism, courses, local, parks

Views: 125

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And we may be a small town, but local Mitch Alstott ran with the pros when the PDGA came through at a nearby course, and finished 4th, after the first 21 he was tied with a Discraft pro, I wish I remembered the name. He also won the ace prize thing, w/e it's called lol

Nice work Joshua, I can understand feeling great. You deserve to be very proud of your impressive and noble accomplishment.

Although I was unaware of your post 2011 Ace Race notice of the start of your mission, I have immense respect for people that publicly  state their goals, and then actually FOLLOW THROUGH!

Most folks, it seems, would rather just pay lip service. You have the complainers, and the wishers, but there is a severe, almost critical, lack of doers left in this day and age.

You, Joshua, are a doer, and you got it done. Now you know that all rewards are not always monetary, and the great feelings you get, from seeing others enjoy and benefit from your commitment and efforts, will last forever. Much longer than a silly little rectangle of green printed paper.

In doers I trust!  You the man Joshua, I want to thank you, and applaud your focus, drive, and the great success of your accomplishment.

Thanks a lot! It was an up and down journey, for sure.

I came under criticism for decisions to re-route hole paths, which ended up actually turning out great - what happened was in the late '90s the city decided to put a picnic area square in the middle of an area that sees disc and player traffic coming from 4 holes, all at once.

By changing two pin locations, I completely diverted the DG traffic from the picnic area, which never ever should have been built.

People enjoy the new locations more than the old ones, and it's cold so they haven't even seen the benefit of not having to deal with idiot picnickers who hear heads up and flip you off...

It was great going around, meeting new people, selling the new Metal Flake Champion discs with a nice hometown hot stamp on em, showing people the Blizzard discs, and raising money.

Disc golf saved my life, long story, but I will play till I die and help the sport grow at the same time, it's a laid back game, I think more people should be willing to teach, organize and help their local course. DG is more than "frolf" - lets all show people it's a damn deep game.

Congrats,your accomplishments are noble as UP Mountain Man mentioned.Nice turn out for your tourney,set goals that actually are accomplished is a great reward.Going forward is always best no matter unforseen problems in the path.

Just wondering,is this the same dgc that you talked about with all the poisn ivy etc.Pictures were posted last year perhaps?Some dr or dentist originally had  sort of designed.?

Nice job once again,always great to have a park/rec employee involved with disc golf.See ya on the fairway.Happy Holidays.

Congrats on the new baskets!

And what everyone else said too. :)

No, that course was a valiant attempt on his part, he paid for the baskets, but then wanted the parks dept to take on impossible landscaping and course management duties - the course I fixed up was the only course in town.

That other atrocity succumbed to mudslides and basket theft, two of the baskets are now unreachable...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968