www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So, I started playing DG in March of 2011. About 1 month ago, I played my first Under Par round and have played 2 more since. The last 2 on courses I had never played before. I am wanting to start playing Tourneys sometime in the future, but I don't want to go into it making a "Bad" name for myself by making people think that I am a "Bagger". So, would you recommend I START in the Recreational Division, or go straight to AM??? I don't care if I win or lose to be honest, I am more concerned about building good Relationships with the Local Dg'ers.....

Views: 241

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would say Rec. but if your looking to learn some new skills play ams. Playing with better player makes you a better player. I still say start in Rec and learn the ropes of tourney play first.
My first tourney, I played advanced, and got smoked, but I had a great time, and played with some really cool people. If your really playing for the experience, and not the prizes, then move up.

I played Am 3 (rec) for the first couple years, and came almost dead last every time (I would have been 1st in Am 4:Novice).  I now come around 4th place in Am 3 (4 years playing).

You just gotta try it, and enjoy the play, and not play for the prizes.

Be aware that "par" is a very vague concept in disc golf.  It varies so much from course to course that it's impossible to draw any conclusion from shooting "under par".

If the tournament is on a course you've played, you should look up previous results and see where your average scores fall.  Bear in mind that your scores will usually be worse in a tournament, particularly your first tournament.  And check with the TD, to verify that the course layout is the same in tournament play as it is when you play it.

Or.....contact the TD, tell him what scores you normally get on that course in the everyday layout, and ask his recommendation.

Oops my bad, I was thinking Rec was Novice in PDGA.

Since you have only been playing since March of this year,

I say play Rec.  Doing well and playing well are two different things.

When I first started, I thought I knew everything.

I was wrong.  Learn the basics, the rules, etc.

Then when you have the experience and knowledge, move up.

One thing I noticed is that no matter what division you play,

there will always be someone who will call you a "Bagger" when you win.

That's something you'll have to deal with.  They are just jealous cause they didn't win

and want to blame someone for their mistakes during play.

Me, I had bounced from Rec to Interm to Advance and back down to Interm.

I play between divisions.

Everytime, I kick my own azz.

Some great advice here Folks! Thank You!
Good advice on disregarding "bagger" comments.  It wouldn't be an awards ceremony without them.  I've even heard it reflexively called out at the Open division winner.  My first win was in my 46th tournament---I tend to "play up" a lot---and of course I heard "bagger" and "move up" in the background.  Mostly in jest.  I think.

I REALLY appreciate the Feedback on this. I will say, I like to REALLY challenge Myself. I have ALWAYS been that way with ANY sport. I think I already have my mind made up that I will step up and play a higher division than I probably should once I have played in at least 1 tourney. I think, personally, it pushes you to become a better player, as I have heard other people say. I just was curious about where to start. Thanks again Guys!

I have only been playing 4 months myself and I played a tournament at 3 months. I played novice and came in next to last of 5 entrants. the 3 that beat me beat over half of the intermediate division as well. I played for the fun of it and had a great time and learned a lot. The TD and a few of the pros there told me I was doing great for the length of time I had been playing and TD would like to see me back again. I will definitely play again it was so much fun. Just play for fun. If you dont have fun you are missing the biggest point of the game!!!!

Fun..............

What is that ?????

Oh yah.

That is something that I lose after the first round of my tournaments.

No Seriously though.

Enjoy the Sport.  Games get better in time.

Enjoy the "fun" whatever you decide.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968