www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hi Guys, I have an impromptu road trip to Grant Mi to pick up and Ebay purchase in two days.  I am coming from Wisconsin, while I am there to pick up some Ebay Goodies, as any good discgolfer knows, roadtrip equals sneaking in some discgolf.

If you were passing through the southwest and western portion of the state, what should you definitely play as I probably will have time for one or two sets of 18.

Thanks in advance.

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

According to mapquest, Grant is about a half hour north of Grand Rapids. If you are coming North around Lake Michigan then you will pass Traverse City (Hickory Hills), Ludington (Leviathon and Mason Co. Parks) and Shelby (Flip City). If you are coming south of Lake Michigan (thru Chicago) then you will pass Kalamazoo ( Coldbrook, Oshtemo, etc) and Grand Rapids (Brewer, Riverside, etc).

My opinion is that the North route will give you better (and World Class) options.
How far are you willing to deviate from a direct course to and from Grant, MI is better question? I can guide to the best courses on a direct route or a direct route with half hour to 45 min detours. There is an awesome concentration in Kalamazoo/Battle Creek area, but K-Zoo isn't a direct route to Grant, MI. The same goes for the Ludington area. Grand Rapids is respectable, but in my opinion, not as good as Ludington and K-Zoo. There are only a handful of courses that Google maps will bring you by in a direct route.
Half Hour or 45 minute detours would be just fine. Probably going to stay a day as its about 6 hours for me to get to grant and pick up my purchase. Ideally I'd get to grant, pick up, play stuff fairly close, stay overnight head home and during that portion deviate from the ideal route to find some courses.
The southern route is 200 miles shorter then heading around the top, so I probably would take the southern route as that would allow more DG time.
You're going to hit alot of good disc golf courses in the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek area if you drive around the south route:

Kalamazoo - Oshtemo, Coldbrook, Robert Morris
Battle Creek - Ft. Custer, Kimball Pines, Irving Park (had to give props to the BCMAMS), Begg Park
Hastings - Hammond Hills (just played here for the first time last Sunday - not for the faint of heart or arm).
Albion - Victory Park

Tall Tom
I would agree to take the southern route, since there will be more disc opportunities. The Southern route will be uglier with worst traffic (Prepare to spend at least 2 hours in stand still grid lock.) The upper route is some of the most beautiful scenery that God ever created. The fairy that takes you to Ludington will put you at the back door of maybe the best course in MI (Mason County Park, three 24 hole courses) The closest course to Grant worth playing is Brandstrom DGC (Fremont, MI.) It's a 24 hole courses that will be worth your time, but defiantly not the best West MI has to offer. You must go play Flip City (Shelby, MI). Quintessential MI disc golf! If you don't do that, I would head straight down 131, hit the two courses in Grand Rapids on 131, Riverside Park (decent 18) and Brewer Park (crowded 36). From there, a 45 min drive to K-Zoo. Oshtemo is right off 131 (Challenging 18.) Your next choice would be to go SE K-zoo to Cold Brook (Awesome 24) or head straight down 131 again and hit Meyer Broadway (Awesome 36). If your arm hasn't fallen off by then, then do South Bend, In (Rum Village, Awesome 18 and George Wilson, Awesome 18).

It's a lot to take in; and there are A LOT of other quality courses you will miss, but let me know if you need any other details.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968