www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've been playing since late 2007. Usually shoot around 4-5 over. I feel like I have a pretty good arsenal of shots to get around the course. I'm accurate with the mid-ranges and my short game is getting better every season. None of my friends play this great sport, not from a lack of effort on my part, and I haven't met anyone in the area to play with on a consistant basis. So every thing that I've learned has been from YouTube and practice. I want to get into tournament golf this year but I feel like I should be playing even par before I jump in to tournaments.

The one area of my game that hasn't gotten any better is my tee game. I just don't have any distance and I struggle with the accuracy (usually a early release = early tree) I probably throw anywhere from 250 to 275 ft. Can't pick up the extra 25 feet regardless of what I try. Does anyone have any drills or advice that helped them in this area they can suggest?? I love this game and its killing me that I can't figure this part out.

HELP>

Bob
Atlanta

Views: 30

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's plenty of advice and videos out there. Some of the best ones are -

Dave Feldberg on Grip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28ABf6csQpM

Driving With Dan Beto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo

More Snap 2009 - Brad Walker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGGYsSUGKXk
As Star Shark recommended, all the videos are great. I'm no pro, but can drive the hell out of a disc. I did the following to increase my distance while stabilizing my accuracy:

--Fixed my grip (watch the Feldberg video as well as the Discraft driving distance video). The grip is crucial.
--Eliminated my run-up. The faster I go, the shorter I throw--I drive with a slow, deliberate walk up/x-step and focus on reaching back across chest as far as I can, pushing off my left foot (RHBH), and keeping my hips in sync with my shoulder turn on the follow thru. It seems the slower I go, the farther I throw (425 or so). This doesn't work for everybody, but it works for me.
Try some league golf, you will meet players,see what division your in and learn what is lacking in you game.
My advice is to jump right into the tournaments. Get your PDGA membership and go for it. Your skills will increase rapidly!
Tournaments are some of the cheapest lessons available.
Take your entry fee and divide it by 4 and that is the cost of each lesson (each round you will learn something).
To really take advantage of this, play in a division above your skill level (athletes will always play to the level of their competition...play in a group that is not as good as you and they will drag you down).
Remember that this is a game of accuracy, not a distance competition.
Land in the middle of the fairway and set up for your next shot (where do you want to throw from next?)
Slow and Steady wins the race in Disc Golf.
That said, extra distance can be obtained by proper form, not power.
Learning to snap a towel well can add to your distance as it is snap and spin that holds the disc in the air.
Use old towels to work with as the snapping destroys them as you get good...
I have the same problem. My oldest son gets around 400', where I get around 275. and if you watch our throwing motions, they are radically different. He looks like barry bonds (cheater) hitting a home run. He torques everything from knees up, where i have a more straight slow motion with a high release. I have modified my motion, dropped my release and started to rotate my hips and shoulders. It seems to work, but with anything new, its a slow process. look at what the other, better playerws do, and you will get it. don't give up on our awesome sport. the frustration will payoff in the end through hard work and patience. and the above mentioned dvd is GREAT, even if dave feldberg does come off as kind of arrogant.
Thanks SS, thanks for the links. I've seen the Dan Beto video and it was helpful. I've heard two different styles. Dan talks about starting the throw with the elbow bent and point toward the target. Then you also hear that you are supposed to keep your arm relatively straight? I assume its personal preference or am I wrong?
Thanks Ryan, I appreciate the advice. I'm going to try this. I play ball golf as well and that's true with the golf swing. I know alot depends on the type of disc you are throwing but do you find that you typically release the disc on a flat plain or with some anhyzer? It seems all the pros, and other guys that crank it, never release the disc flat.

Appreciate the advice!
I haven't seen this one Donny. Thanks for the tip!
Thanks Justin. What is the best way to find local tournaments?
Thanks Disc nut, I think I'm going to take the plunge this summer. Gotta start somewhere.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968