www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've been playing since late 2007. Usually shoot around 4-5 over. I feel like I have a pretty good arsenal of shots to get around the course. I'm accurate with the mid-ranges and my short game is getting better every season. None of my friends play this great sport, not from a lack of effort on my part, and I haven't met anyone in the area to play with on a consistant basis. So every thing that I've learned has been from YouTube and practice. I want to get into tournament golf this year but I feel like I should be playing even par before I jump in to tournaments.

The one area of my game that hasn't gotten any better is my tee game. I just don't have any distance and I struggle with the accuracy (usually a early release = early tree) I probably throw anywhere from 250 to 275 ft. Can't pick up the extra 25 feet regardless of what I try. Does anyone have any drills or advice that helped them in this area they can suggest?? I love this game and its killing me that I can't figure this part out.

HELP>

Bob
Atlanta

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting, I hadn't heard about the towel drill. I appreciate the feedback and will definately try that.

Thanks
Thanks Justin, when you play your first tourny do the organizers place you or do you get to choose what division you want to play in?
I would also recommend that you start playing tournies now, no matter if you above par or not. There are divisions for everyone. The site Discgolfscene.com will track your scores and help you find local leagues, sanctioned, and unsanctioned tournaments.
Towel Drill is from Living in Michigan...for the 6-10 months that you cannot play, I devised a way to keep my arm in shape for the next season (indoor driving, no discs=towel snap).
What I noticed is that every year after the long hard winter that even my first shots went further than any shots I ended with last year. So the towel snap drill increased my distance every year without even thinking about what I am doing...it just creates muscles and muscle memory to get the snap and spin that you need for the disc to glide.
Lowering your weights can allow your wrist strength to generate more spin on the disc, thus creating more glide and greater distance. knock 5 or 10 grams off your drivers and watch the results. The more you go to an open field and practice, the better you will get. Take a friend and throw back and forth. Lessons are always available at the Clearwater Disc Golf Store if you ever decide to take a Disc Golf Vacation! My lessons are personal and get you to work with what you already have as well as what to work on (how to practice properly) to get where you want to be. Feedback from lessons has been phenomenal and people are even taking refresher lessons just like other sports (I used to go to the same tennis instructor every year for refresher lessons and I loved it!). Even I learn something every time I give a lesson!!!
Now go and throw...
Just signed up. Thanks!
Disc golf seems to be huge in MI. Its seems to be growing down here as well. If I'm ever up that way I will drop into CWDGS. Thanks for all the advice.
I used to have trouble with distance and was told to take my putters out to a big open field and practice good form. learning to throw with correct form will increase your distance dramatically.
They will put you in the division you Pay for...
They will only limit you if you are rated too high for that division.
Some players have a "win at all costs" attitude and will try to sign up in a division that they are overqualified for so they can win easily...over and over.
The ratings system cuts a few of them off.
I prefer the OPEN division which is OPEN to anybody who thinks they know how to compete.
No age protection, no handicaps, just bring your best performance to the table!!!
Ams are encouraged to play in the OPEN PRO division, not to win their first time, but to walk away with the knowledge of what it is going to take to win in that division as well as tons of information about discs, grips, run-ups, etc...the pro disc golfers love to show off their stuff and talk about it in depth both during and after the rounds. The cheapest lessons on the planet are to sign up for the OPEN PRO division and be courteous, ask questions at appropriate times and learn all that you can that weekend!!!
I stole half of what I do now. Every time I found a player using proper form and getting great results, I would emulate them until I had the same results with the same form. Take the good parts, leave the bad ones...quirky, unorthodox players are not the ones to try to emulate...they use what works for them. You will eventually come up with a few quirky shots that are only going to work for you. But try to only emulate the best parts of what you see. Think fundamentals. Leave the rest. Take notes, study, ask questions and LEARN the same way you were taught to LEARN in school. School is not FREE, Learning is not FREE, so you are going to have to buck up at some point. A degree costs $$$.
I already told you where to get the cheapest lessons...Upper levels of sanctioned tournaments!
I took both keys from my ball golf game as well (and it dropped my handicap from a 12 to an 8 over a years worth of work)...just slow it down. Grip and Tempo are my two 'swing thoughts'.

My release completely depends upon the disc. If I have something overstable (like my Star Destroyer, Nuke, Halo, Spirit) I release it with varying degrees of Anny. Understable discs like my evolution Apache, evolution Scream,, Beat Beast or Beat Roc are released hyzer to flat, depending on my line. In order to release a disc flat, you must have a really straight disc--mine would be a San Marino Roc which I can pump out to 375 or so on a flat line...
Some pros like Feldberg keep their arm more or less straight. I think the real point is to keep your arm moving on a straight line towards your target. A big swooping swing doesn't do you much good. Keep the disc close to your body.
go get 'em Bob :)
Do you use a small towl, or a full size towl for ur snap?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968