www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hey everyone!

Got a question for the group that I am hoping people will weigh-in on.  Since I got back into disc golf heavy-duty 4-5 years ago, everything in my bag has been 174-178g.  Putters, mid-range/approach, drivers.  The heavier the better in all the chronic wind we face down here on the prairie (SW Minnesota).  That said, my driving distances (Pro Wraith, Star Destroyer, Star SL) have plateaued around 310-325 feet.  I've worked my footwork, I've tweaked my throwing motion and accelerated the "rip" across my chest, making sure I've got that little "flick" at the very end of my release, etc.  Barring my throwing off of the top of a hill or out the back of an airplane, I just can't get longer.  :-)

Meanwhile, there are other guys I play with regularly who have jumped from 300 to 400+ feet off the tee the past couple years.  They'll throw 165-168g or even a 150-160g Boss!  They're 5-10 years younger than me (39)...so maybe middle age has something to do with it too.  However, I am wondering if anyone has ever seen any studies or analysis which might suggest that there is an optimal weight of disc to throw off the tee.

It would certainly depend a lot upon body type, skill, etc.  However, if 165g would get me more distance than 175g without sacrificing too much lateral accuracy (in the wind), that would be good information to know (and then share with the DG masses).

Any help, ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You should go even lighter...Discraft, ...well I'm not going there....

I do agree with Harold, don't jump on every disc's bandwagon.....stick with what you know. I'm not saying to never try new things...just don't go haywire buying every new disc that comes down the pike.

...Back to what I was saying about lighter....more relevant to your thread...you should try 160 to 162 weights. I can't say enough about Star Roadrunners at this weight for nice easy to throw understable drivers/rollers.

For stability in a low 160's Driver, The Champ Orc is the chit!! ...man!! Even at this light ass weight they are still very stable and very long. Champ because, once you see it as just a dot in the distance....you'll never want it to beat up. ...and If your not a fan of thick rims...these discs are perfect.
You dont need any lighter plastic... However its sounds to me like you need more understable drivers. Also If your not able to throw past 350' you dont and CANT get the benefits of a distance driver... Distant drivers such as destoryer wraith and boss i only ment to go over 400 feet.. I you cant throw it 400' those disc are being counter productive. If you must throw a driver look for a sidewider or roadrunner. However i would suggest throwing a midrange ROC until you can throw it 290-300' and then everyhing else can fall into place. Too many beginners are thorwing discs that will only stagnate there games forever becuase they are to overstable for them and the disc actually falls rather than flys.. Take this for what it worth hope it helps... I PROMISE it will.
That's a great point too...overstable vs. understable. I've been playing disc now for 32 years...but only got serious about it (sanctioned tournaments) in the past 4-5. My problem though is that I can throw my mid-range 275+ (174-177g Rocs/Buzzzs). Rocs when I need a little more hyzer action, Buzzz when I need a little more straight/anhyzer action. But when I pull my Wraith, SL or Destroyer out of my bag, and I can barely get it 295-300 right now. 315-325 feet once I chip the Winter rust off my game.

It drives me bonkers that a driver that other guys about my same height/build (albeit it younger, most of the time) can throw 375-400+ can barely get out there 10-30 feet farther than my mid-range/approach discs. My putting is getting a lot better the past 18 months (a lot more comfortable from 30-40 feet out), and my approach game has always been my strength! I just STINK off the tee...and it seems like whatever I try just hasn't got the job done.
It's Technique. You might be able to get an additional 25-50' from lighter plastic, or more beat in plastic, or more understable plastic. But im convinced that the Big D you are looking for comes from technique. The guys that REALLY throw CONSISTANTLY over 400-450' don't need a 150g roadrunner to do it.... All you do then is train yourself how to throw bad farther. Im not talking about giving beginers xcals and wishing them the best of luck, but if you throw 315-325, try working on nose down, flat-slight hyzer release and keep working the HIT. One thing that needs to be mentioned is accuracy... 325' in the fairway or parked is better than 375 O.B. But all that said you will gain a little more flight time out of understable plastic, and lighter plastic, but lightweight understable plastic is unpredictable which is the last thing you want.
Thanks Chad!

I added a 171g Sidewinder and a 167g Roadrunner to my bag about two weeks ago. On the 400 foot hole on our local course (the only one, as it is a tight, technical, shorter course for the most part), I'll tee off with all three discs (my 174g Star Wraith being the third). My Wraith is still traveling farther than the other two...with similar to superior accuracy. However, I'll give those other two a few hundred holes of practice to see how they do before I write that off as anything other than "operator error" (me not fully understanding how to release those discs in my throwing motion).

What I wish I could do is get myself on to video...teeing off with each disc several times and then having someone who knows what they are doing look at it and tell me "tweak these couple things in your grip, throwing motion, and release points, and you'll be a lot better!" Maybe I will eventually, but I need to invest in a good tripod and camera. Thanks again!
Just got back in from the course. That was a fun little experiment! I wanted to throw Surge SS or Avenger SS for my test, but I didn't have enough of a weight differential in the discs available to me to do it. So, I took two brand-new Flicks out of the box instead (I NEVER throw Flicks off the tee, so there was no bias present). The results are below:

It was WINDY (20-25 mph, gusting to almost 40 mph), with the wind coming across and to the left off me off the tee (a slight tailwind) as a LHBH player. All in all, the 166g disc averaged about 8.5 feet further off the tee...with very similar results related to accuracy/placement. Ten attempts per disc (smaller sample size). I threw the "heavy," then I threw the light. 1, 1. 2, 2. Etc.

Anyway, from what I could gather, the lighter disc did fly a bit farther...with absolutely no loss in control. Interesting! That jive with what others might expect to see for results? Let me know...
Lighter Drivers with the right wind will have more carry.
This is the same thing that I've noticed as well, but some people swear by just a tailwind.
And i think its funny that people like a tailwind for playing. I prefer to throw into a headwind because i like to watch the disc jump up and do the elevator thing. Im not sure if it slows my disc and makes it fall short because i just play recreationally normally and dont really keep track or if the jumping up motion adds more distance to the throw.
My absolute favorite driving conditions are a bit of a crosswind that is a slight tailwind, that is coming across my left shoulder (LHBH player). If the hole is North to South and I've got an ENE wind? I get out my Wraith and I feel like I can throw it a mile over a level surface. Let it go very fast and low, and the disc will stay no more than about 20 feet above the ground for 310-325 feet. A mile for me, anyway. :-)

The worst conditions on that same North to South hole I described would be a strong SW or W wind. Not quite a head wind...but coming at me from the right side of my body. I have a much more difficult time with my accuracy/placement under those conditions...so I usually end up throwing shorter because I'm worried about missing the fairway and probably (mentally) take a little bit off. Get a wind coming over and across my left (throwing) shoulder though, and I've got about three extra helpings of confidence and "go get 'em" off the tee.
Heavier disc equals more overstable so better for a headwind. With a tailwind the lighter disc will cruise farther. Physics...

F=MA. Less mass with the same force equals greater acceleration. Glide that baby on the wind. My sweet spot for discs is 167 to 172. Quest AT Classic Inferno is a great disc. Also love the Sidewinder.

Throwing max weight with my arm would be a waste of time.
168-171 Katana is just fine !!!

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968