www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have been playing Disc Golf for one year, as of March 10th. I am Pretty stoked with where I am at in my game and how much I have improved. I am Always learning something new and trying to use it to make my game Better. So, I Recently started working on throwing Forehand. The past few days have been really good as far as my throws go. I have been working on Forehand upshots under 250 ft and I am Dang Surprised how Accurate I can be with the Forehand. The past few days, I have gotten to the point where I can almost stack my 3 Buzzz's on top of each other throwing out to around 150ft. Going past 200ft, the grouping opens up a bit, but it is still more accurate than I have become throwing Backhand for just over a full year.

So, even as accurate as the Forehand seems to be for me, it is leaving my hand with a Butt Load of Flutter. I know I am not getting the wrist "Snap" that I need. Any Remedies for creating a smoother, snappier Forehand? 

Oh, one thing I also wonder about. I have The SMALLEST MAN HANDS in the World. My finger look like little stubs. I Cannot comfortably do a 2 Finger Forehand Grip. I only use my Index Finger inside the rim. Is that causing me problems that anyone can think of? 

Thanks in advance to anyone that responds. It is Most Appreciated. :)

Views: 394

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the most satisfying and exiting to learn "handed shot". The fantastic forehand. I have done plenty of research to find out that even the pros have all kinds of diiferent philosophies and applications to throwing side arm so in order to maximize your improvement you get to experiment and figure this one out a little on your own (which is what makes disc golf the shizzy)

#1 Improved snap WILL COME through repetative-motion-muscle-memory. (work hard to figure out whats best for you, then practice that). How long do you want it to take to improve? You can play forehand rounds (recomended), you can go to open fields(highly recomended), and you can also (to improve snap and form) throw flippyer discs, and as you get stronger suppliment very stable and flippy discs in practice (recomended).

#2 Flutter and general control- no need for a big backswing, it's all about a short backswing, and accelerating smoothly into the snap. Many players advise to keep you elbow close to your body (recomended) to keep your arm from doing whatever it wants and to prevent injury.

#3 Stick with the one finger pointer grip. Comfort is one of the most important things with having a strong grip. (side note: 2 fingers will only add about 25-30 ft to your distance and will probably mess up your consistancy) I throw one finger and too be vain, I think I look way cooler when I throw than sidearm than the 2 finger throwers (most forehanders use 2). Keep in mind it may take you longer to develop "snap muscles" and get the power you want, but eventually it will come.

#4 This is an extra little secret: when throwing forehand- learn to engage you core, and learn to do it in a relaxed manner, to not let cause your muscles/body

to be tense.

Wow Nate. Awesome explanation! Thank you! 

Something I should have said above, too. I find it is Most Comfortable to Definitely keep my elbow in close to my side. I don't reach back far at all, and I have been making sure to Follow Through. The only stuff from the pros I have seen that made much sense to me were the Discraft "How to throw Forehand" video and a video clip of Big Jerm throwing Mids forehand. I think the Big Jerm clip was in a Disc Golf Monthly Episode, but I can't find it since I started specifically trying too. Lol.

Thanks again Nate. You bring up some Great Points!

thank you both.. for asking that question and for such an easy to understand walk-thru. I've just started working on my forehand because it's a throw I can see being useful to know from time to time. thanks again.

Dang, I am noticing that my throwing arm is Sore since I have been really out practicing forehands. Is normal, or am I doing totally wrong. I used to pitch in Baseball before I threw out my elbow. Maybe I am just getting old...... 

I really think the elbow close to the side is important to help avoid injury. The other big suggestion I would add is to learn to throw stable to understable discs first. I know many people recommend learning the big power "S" and in truth it is easier to crank something overstable on an annie line and let the disc finally flex out. But to really master the forehand I think you should learn to finesse the understable discs first. Especially if you have small hands, the smaller rims on understable plastic will help. If you can control a straight disc with power then the distance will really start to improve. For the flutter, make sure your wrist is pointing at the sky when you release. It helps the disc come out smooth and will help with D and accuracy too.

Awesome! Thank you Rob! I have started working on Under Stable discs first. Mids to start. My Buzzes and Meteors have been keeping me busy. Even on a short forehand throw, they sure like to try and turn over, so that has been a Great learning experience. Especially if there is any wind. I have also been making sure I am following through with my "Palm to the Sky", or wrist up. :)

REALLY appreciate the input y'all! :)

I finally had to use mids to really diagnose what was going on with my forehand Jeff. I used a Fuse, Core, and a Pain. (Lat64 guy) They all wobbled like crazy and turned and burned. It took a lot of practice to keep my wrist flat to the sky to keep a smooth release. Keeping my elbow in tighter also helped to smooth out my release. Distance came when I got my hips involved and started following through. Even though the actual throw is short and compact compared to my backhand, I had to make sure that my arm carried forward even after release.

Since there is no real pull back, positioning the disc in your hand for hyzer or anny lines is critical beause the arm stroke is so short. Throwing the Fuse was tough because of it being so understable, I had to learn to flip it and get some height on it to get distance on it without crashing it. The Pain would fight out of most anything, but beacause of it being such a deep rimmed disc it took a real smooth release to keep it from fluttering. The Core just flat out worked great.

I am now working with the River, Jackal, and Eagle to try and guage my distance control wit faster speed discs. It has been much easier, they don't flutter as much as mids. The hardest line has been to hit a low ceiling shot that doesn't skip much at the end. This has been a real learning process.

Then theres run up, no run up, hitting higher and lower lines, etc....

Have fun.

Adding my two cents. I think that there is a myriad of ways to throw the forehand shot. I pretty much stick with my Sidewinder, TeeBird and Banshee for the forehand shot but there are some others that I could surely use. I don't really use any sort of run up on the shot. My grip is the peace sign which I like because it keeps the disc nice and stable. I don't usually throw with the disc flat at all. I tend to start the disc at a lower level (closer to the ground) and on a hyzer angle. Then when I come through and snap the wrist the disc will flatten out and go straight. I totally use the forehand as an approach shot with a Banshee because I can just gauge the distance, aim a bit to the left and let the disc fade right to the hole.

You probably just need to experiment to see what works for you. Have you tried the peace sign grip? I don't see many (if any) other players use it but it works great for me. I also know a few folks who use the single finger grip. See what works for you. It is pretty much a wrist snap type of shot. You can get quite a bit of power with it as well. For me anywhere inside about 200 feet will probably get thrown as a forehand because of the control factor. 

More Great Advice! Thanks Dook and Jim! I went out very briefly today and flicked some more mids around. It seems like I am not having to think about it so much. And, every once in a while, I get a Really nice, flat flick that comes out of my hand without fluttering, and then goes on past the other pile of discs I had already thrown. Fun to try and figure out. thanks again y'all. :)

I rocked out some of the advice here today with a roadrunner and a diamond and was quite surprised at the results. while not perfect, they were totally acceptable and encouraging :) thanks again for the advice guys

Take something really stable (nuke os or predator) and chuck it almost at a roller angle. Watch those babies go with little power. Also flip fingers forward

Those two discs really take some touch Ron, but will net you some great results in the long run. At the end of a session I'll pull out my flippy Vulcan and nose sensative Havoc and try and work flexes with them, tough, but it's doable. With faster flippier discs I have to work hard to throw on an even plane and make sure I don't jerk up and down. Rotational speed versus a lunge works best.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968