www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am having a little trouble deciding how to approach the mayor in our city about building another course in our city. We have a nine hole course already, but there are issues that are or could pose problems. After talking with several other players who use this course quite often, we agree that there is another location in our city that would be perfect to host another course. I started a letter already addressing some of the issues that are or could be problems. I also suggested this other area to have a course. The problem is that if I bring up these issues to get what we want, they might pull our existing course out. I do not want this to happen, but I am not real sure how to approach having another course in our city. Any ideas?

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I took a computer course a few years back. The instructor use to redevolope land for different uses. When I told him about disc golf and how hard it is to put courses in, in this area (Sonoma County). He passed on some ideas to me. Not in any particular order, but here are some of the things he brought up.

Have an association of disc golfers in place. It shows the city you have backing in the area, as well as manpower to build a course.
Before and after pictures. He showed me pictures of garbage and disrepair of the area and the after pictures showed an area free of garbage and well maintained trees and shrubs.
Money talks. Show him that it would not cost the city a thing, but could bring money into the city (this is a big one)
Show that with increased foot traffic, that it can detour fiff raff.
Get other people who work for the city on your side. The Mayor and city council are nice, but it's the parks superintendant or the people in charge of parks that will also help.
Show some success stories. Sea-Tac in WA is a great example. The locals love that there is a disc golf course in an area that only had trouble in the past.
Those are just some I can remember. Good luck!
Given the fact that you are not that far from Bowling Green (A disc golf mecca of sorts) I would suggest contacting some of the people in that area to see if they have any ideas on how to approach the city about it. The parks department and clubs there have been instrumental in course installation.
I would suggest looking in to some of the courses in Central Texas. We have several cities that have multiple courses. not sure if you would want to contact our city official and see how it was proposed to them
Mitchell, SD is where I live a town of 14K per Y2K census. We have two courses here, a small 9 hole and a somewhat larger 18 hole.

Not bad for a town of 14K. I would suggest the issue of foot traffic and increased people coming to town to play. I would go somewhere to play an 18, not play a 9.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968