www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I just started playing, played my Third game today. I just bought a set at a garage sale this past weekend,it looks like a starter set they are by Innova and I have aviar putter 150G,Shark Midrange 150G, Leopard fairway driver 144G, and a Pro Destroyer Distance 172g.

The Shark it seems like that thing just goes strait and true and the Leopard flies nice but it always seems like it wants to bank left so when I throw that one I have to aim pretty much to the right but I get the most distance with the Leopard.

The Pro destroyer,I cant throw that one worth beans! I tried throwing it many times and every once in a while I get a good throw on it,but it hardly never goes farther then my Leopard,Im sure it's me and I'll practice but I was wondering if there is a Disc that you can recommend that will get me extra distance and that is easy to throw?

Im going to Dicks tomorrow and it looks like all they sell is Innova Discs so any from that brand that will help me out?

If not any from there what disc would be good for me,I can just order online. Thanks for the help.

Views: 576

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Brian. CONGRATS and Welcome to this Wonderful Affliction/Addiction known as Disc Golf. :)

Just to touch on a couple of your Questions. Yes, you are correct regarding the Turn & Fade numbers. As a general Rule for TURN: Turn ratings will vary from a +1 to a -5. The Bigger the NEGATIVE #, the more the disc will turn to the RIGHT when thrown at the SPEED NEEDED to make the disc Fly how it's Rated. A -5 Turn rated disc will fly Under Stable when thrown at it's rated speed. A 0, or +1 Turn Rated disc will be Always Trying to go Left and Down because it Flies Over Stable. 

Same thing with Fade. Fade ratings are Generally 0-5. The LOWER the #, the LESS the disc will fade at the End. 

One rating # you should really be looking at, IMO, is the DISC SPEED rating, also. Your Destroyer is rated 12 SPEED, 5 GLIDE, -1 TURN, and 3 Fade. Now, the HIGHER the Speed rating, the HARDER you have to throw that disc to get it to work and fly as Rated. People that can throw a Destroyer Correctly are people that have the Technique and Throwing Form down Fairly well and they can generally throw WELL over 350 feet. 

The SPEED Rating is not only telling you how Fast it will fly, BUT, it is also giving you a Clue as to how Hard and Fast you will have to release that disc to make it fly correctly. 

Where you are at in your game, I Personally think a Speed 6-7 disc is the MAX you need to worry about right now.

I will say, at the point I am at in my game, I can STILL throw my Leopards FURTHER and More Accurately than I can a Destroyer. I still do not generate enough arm speed and Snap to get a Destroyer to fly correctly.

I hope this helped. I am long winded and confusing. :) There are LOTS of helpful folks around here with the know how to help though! 

Oh, BTW, an Aviar, Shark, and Leopard are the same discs I started with. You can't get better than those, IMO!!!

First off, learn the X-step. Everything begins with the feet. When you do the X-step everything else will fall into place.

Second you should be able to handle a disc like a Sidewinder even though it is rated at a speed of 9. It is an easy to throw disc, especially in lower weights.

The reason that discs go left with beginners is that they don't have the disc flat and/or they aren't coming through flat and straight with the arm. Bad footwork will contribute to this as well.

So work on your X-step, work on keeping the arm straight and the disc flat and see what happens.

The 4 parts of a flight rating: (Assuming you throw Right Hand Back Hand)

Speed: This the speed required to get the disc to fly true (The higher the number, the more speed it needs)

Glide: This is a rating that tells how long the disc wants to stay aloft

Turn: This number tells how easily the disc will want to turn right during flight thrown equal to the speed rating above. (+1 to -5) Minus numbers want to turn easier and the closer you get to +1 the harder they will fight the turn.

Fade: Tells how hard the disc will fade once the disc starts to slow down (0 to 5) The higher the number the harder it will fade

Your Discs:

Aviar Putter: 2/3/0/1

Shark: 4/4/0/2

Leopard: 6/5/-2/1

Destroyer: 12/5/-1/3

Based on your arm speed the Shark is flying the best for you which tells us you have an armspeed of about 4 right now. The reason the faster discs (Leopard and Destroyer) aren't flying well is because you are not getting them up to speed. This doesn't mean go drop a nut trying to rip the disc harder, there is more to it than that. It is true that your arm speed needs to get faster, but it needs to be clean form. Clean form involves a proper grip, reach back, pull through, run up, hip turn, and a snap release. It won't take much and you'll be throwing that Leopard. Be patient and keep going.

Playing a lot and YouTube are your best friends right now.

Dan Betos driving technique video on YouTube was great for me when I first started out. The Discraft video and now the Discamania "Deep in the Game" video are awesome too.

Welcome to the sport

Where did you get this advice? There are no pros that started this way and teacher supreme Mark Ellis recommends against it. Be smart with your driver choice and learn the complete game.

Not seeing you throw makes this kinda hard to help but...

If your throwing the disc high in the air say over 15 to 20 feet, then you need to get your disc lower. You probably need to work on your reach back and pull through. Pull back should leave your arm almost extended straight back to the 6 o'clock from the target (or aiming point), You want to pull slow to fast like starting a lawn mower. You want to generate all you speed an power at the point of release like snapping a towel. Then follow through allowing your left foot to go all the way around and your right arm should be basically slapping your lower back. 

As Jim said the xstep will help although I tend to tell people to hold off on this. Start off with a slow walk up until you can get consistent with timing. Your right foot should be planted in a 90degree or 9 o'clock from the target, on your final step.

Destroyer comment, The Destroyer will not be a good disc for you until you can throw with enough speed (as Jeff said) for the disc to fly right. I throw around 400 feet and the destroyer is still turning left for me. Try throwing it side arm with about a 30 degree angle (right side high, left side low) It will want to turn right when thrown sidearm, giving the offset angle should let it fly left then right.

Wind will also effect the disc alot, so if its windy and they are doing thing that seem odd to you, Its no big deal. Right to Left - disc will want to go way more left, Left to Right tricky wind can stall disc out for no distance or pull them way right for lots of distance, Headwind - disc tend to want to turn more right and you want to keep the disc low, and Tailwind the disc will want to turn left more then normal, giving it more height will help in this wind. Good rule of thumb is keep the disc low and the wind wont effect it as much, however the wind can be your friend once you understand it and you can attack the wind.

You distance and accuracy is going to come with a good mix of power and speed, but this means very little if you have poor technique. You shouldn't be trying to put 100% power on your shots, go with 75-85% power while being smooth with your throw. 

you are throwing up. Throw down and throw hard like a baseball. These things can handle all you got. Heel in on your throw it will help go right.

Oh yeah try some Lightning discs or a Wolf

Try throwing Understable Disc's First. Then you can graduate to overstable disc's when you learn your style.

I don't believe that there is any reason to hold off on learning the X-step. In fact it is the first thing that I will teach a beginner because it sets up the entire body for the throw. Bad habits are generated by poor footwork (shuffling, hops, etc.) and it is much better to not have to break bad habits later. The footwork (X-step) sets up the body for the throw and from there you can work on the arms, keeping the arm straight and pulling through.

Things like learning how the wind affects a disc will come later. The simplest explanation of how wind affects a disc is with headwinds and tailwinds. Headwinds make a disc more understable so it will want to turn over. Tailwinds will make a disc more overstable so it will turn harder at the end. The solution to this is to throw more overstable discs into a headwind and less stable discs with a tailwind. But that isn't so important right away to a beginner.

simple fact.. putters and mids are more forgiving on bad throws.. which all beginners do and even the pros now and then.  how long you do it is up to the person. just good advice i received early one.. and wow, you know every pro and how they gat started. lol jk on that. . i see the other thread bout this very "beginner training" advice.  lol cool. was good reading.

Thanks for all the help,I played today with a local league and man do I have some work to do! But the people were nice and I had fun. I used the x step im sure it wasnt perfect but it felt comfortable,I just need to work on pulling my arm with a snap,And putting! If I could have made these  easy putts my score would have been much better. I been trying so hard to get some distance,I should have worked on the putt! But all and all,I had fun and I think im going to stick with it a while.

Putting is all about getting comfortable and finding your balance. See what feels comfortable to you and then follow through. Remember that you are putting through the basket. I am right handed so I put my right foot forward just behind the marker disc and stagger my left foot farther back with my shoulders square to the basket. But everyone tends to use a different style so use what feels right to you. It is important to get your balance before you putt.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep playing!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968