www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

so in the course of my learning how to throw, my tried and true DX Beast has become a bit dinged up(ok maybe that was an understatement)... is it ok to do some minor sanding to it? I mean it seems logical to be able to as long as I'm not jacking up the flight, I just want to make sure that once I get to playing with others that it wont be frowned upon.

thanks in advance, The new guy.

Views: 346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used to sand burrs off of my DX discs all the time, Especially after I had on cut me. Sanding a bit is not a problem, Making Holes, Cracks, or otherwise altering a disc is bad. :)

You can sand, but I think the towel trick works better.  Take a towel, preferably a microfiber, and fold it over.  Then use a finger to rub the towel vigorously on the damaged edge of the disc.  The heat of the friction will slightly melt the platic and burrs and small cuts will magically disappear.  A local pro demonstrated this to me and I really love the results.

Thanks! I'll have to try that towel trick.

DX only lasts so long and I end up replacing my DX discs a couple of times each year. It will change their flight until they just don't fly the same anymore. Maybe your disc isn't at that point yet or you like it being a bit beat up and "broken in". Right now I believe that the only DX plastic that I have in my bag is a DX TeeBird. It is probably the third or fourth one that I have used this year. I love the way DX flies but it just won't last.

Never heard that one! Thanks for the Tip Rudy. :)

yeah, I guess I'm hanging on because I'm really comfortable throwing this one. hopefully the confidence that I have with this disc will spread to others as I play more.

I used to light fire to drinking straws and let the burning plastic weld itself to any chunky spots. Of course this is completely illegal and I do not condone using these discs in tournaments ;o))

You're welcome.

Naughty Naughty....

Sure, totally legal.  Minor sanding won't affect the flight of the disc, just how comfortable it is to throw.

As you play with a disc it breaks in, becomes less stable and darn near always becomes more valuable to the player (if they know enough to take advantage of it).

By playing with a disc the rim starts to bend downward (even if by so small a margin you can't tell by looking at it).  Also the bottom of the rim (where a bead is at if the disc has one) starts to wear away.  These changes are what makes the disc less stable.  Nicks or gouges in the rim don't have much impact on stability unless the rim also becomes warped by the impact.

In terms of playing with other players, Ron Suir, you should do so promptly.  The fastest way to learn is to play with better players.  It is hard to figure out everything on your own.

Let me know what you think of the results! :D

This works like a dream!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968