www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I went from an 834 to a 917... that is a crazy jump!!! I am very happy about it.... was expecting an 880-890.

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How is it Chuck that some people have lets say 20 rounds that count yet some may only have 11. I noticed a tourny I played in 2007 is on my rating but not on another players rating could you please explain this. thanks

Chuck Kennedy said:
mark ellis said:
One aspect of the ratings strikes me as a bit off. Ok, I am nitpicking here, but my worst rounds count against me in the ratings computation. Other players worst rounds are dropped if they happen to be bad enough.

Part of a rating should consider consistency. But the current system gives a free pass if a round sucks enough. Ok, fine, then I should get a free pass on whatever my worst round was as well. I have played some terrible tournament rounds. How they failed to be 100 points below my average is shocking to me (that is the standard isn't it?). I did everything I could to suck so the ratings Gods should smile mercifully upon me
The more consistently you throw, the less likely poor rounds will be included in your rating. Most players at 970 ratings are more consistent than those around 900 or 850. A 970 player is more likely to have a round 70 points below their rating dropped (2.5 standard deviations) than a 900 or 850 player. The 900 or 850 player is more likely to shoot a round more than 100 points below their rating and get it dropped regardless of their standard deviation. But I think those players would still prefer to have the "disadvantages" of a 970 ratng ;-)
The number of rounds is strictly based on each individual's playing pattern. We look at all rounds within 12 months of a player's most recently rated round. If that number is less than 8, then we'll go back up to another 12 months until we find 8 or whatever the number is less than 8 if there aren't any more within that 24 month period.
If the number is more the 8 how come I have september rounds 2007 on my rating?

Chuck Kennedy said:
The number of rounds is strictly based on each individual's playing pattern. We look at all rounds within 12 months of a player's most recently rated round. If that number is less than 8, then we'll go back up to another 12 months until we find 8 or whatever the number is less than 8 if there aren't any more within that 24 month period.
I haven't looked my new one up, but my wife says it is 918, which is down from 923, and probably about right, based on tournament performance. My game, when it all comes together, is probably 960-980, but I rarely feel competitive enough to buckle down and focus for 18 holes.
Stick, what's the date of your most recently rated round? Is that Sept 2007 round within 12 months of your most recent round?
I guess what gets me about this is the fact the the tourny in question is on the same date every year and this happened to be the last one in before the update so the tourny book ends my rating. I would think it makes more sense to have the 2008 on my rating and not to have the 2007 as I had a chance to improve on that course in a years time but both still count. It will all come out in the wash come january. Thanks for your feedback

Chuck Kennedy said:
Stick, what's the date of your most recently rated round? Is that Sept 2007 round within 12 months of your most recent round?
We have had that discussion with our rating group because there are many tournaments with the 365 days issue. The thought is that a player playing the same course each year might actually play that course better anyway so their ratings are at least average or better in general. And if you are improving, your most recent rounds get double weighted so the impact of your improvement means the recent rounds count double the older ones on that same course.
Makes sense. How many are double rated?

Chuck Kennedy said:
We have had that discussion with our rating group because there are many tournaments with the 365 days issue. The thought is that a player playing the same course each year might actually play that course better anyway so their ratings are at least average or better in general. And if you are improving, your most recent rounds get double weighted so the impact of your improvement means the recent rounds count double the older ones.
Your most recent 25% rounded up. So if you have 14 rounds then the most recent four would be doubled. If it turns out that only one of two rounds on the same date is supposed to be doubled, we use the one with the highest rating.
I'm not content with mine, but it's my own fault for not playing well. I went up to 827 (yes, that was an improvement), but I'd like to make a bigger jump this next time around. Just means I'll need to practice more. Oh, darn.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968