www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Recently, a couple of locals have been saying that a player may take a re-tee of the box if they don't like the drive (usually right after they shank a drive badly). On occasion it has been alleged that it does not even cost the player a stroke! What's up with that? Now I admit that my Rule book is a year or two old, but I could not find any info on the PDGA website confirming this alleged rule change. Anybody got any information regarding this subject, or are these guys talking out of their butts?

Tags: changes, rules

Views: 713

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ohhhhhhhh! The locals are from Willows, Orland, or Chico?! As a graduate of Willows High, I know that logic and reading skills are not well developed among inhabitants of the North Valley, so just tell them they are dumb.

This was formerly the unplayable lie rule I believe..... Seems to be a two edged sword this one does.... Could lead to some better moods on the course, but at the same time if everyone started doing this on a regular basis it could make a round last 4-ever......

Or it could speed things up. Hole 2 at DeLaVeaga is a prime example. If your putt goes two feet past the basket, it falls off of a 200 foot cliff. Re-putt and take a four or five. Or you can find your disc and take three throws to get back up (if you're lucky).

Do you guys think this rule affects the spirit of the game in a negative or positive manner?

I have known about this rule for a while, and have yet to use it because it doesn't seem like fair play. I play many courses with heavy schule and potential run-away errant shots. It just doesn't occur to me to call an optional re-throw when I can easily get to my disc and make my next throw. So, based on what I have seen so far from myself and other players it has not affected the spirit of the game... Yet...

If the idea of using the optional re-throw rule becomes SOP on the course, I could see it making an impact, the question is what impact? I can see the positives like speed of play and player safety, but I can also see the possibility of negatives in the form of arguments, uncertainty about the rule, retrieving the disc down the hill after the optional re-throw anyway..., it goes on and on in my mind.

I think that is why I tend to play old-school and not call this rule. But who knows, if I will need it to continue to be competitive, I may have to use it myself.....

I watch A LOT of disc golf. TONS of Tourney play. I can't EVER recall (I may be Mistaken) seeing a person call an "Optional Re-Throw" after a BAD shot was made. I have seen, a few times, the "Provisional" shot used when the Tee Shots was made and looked like it hit water, or was not retrievable. I have seen Barry Shultz call a "Provisional" a couple times. Here is an example of Barry calling a "Provisional" on Hole 15 at the 2011 Remax Atlanta Open. Starts at 31:30 in....  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968