www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So I am going to join a league starting this Thursday. I am reading through the rules on PDGA. What are some of the things you guys learned after you started? What are some things that you did in casual play that are not good to do in a league play?

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Falling putts. I got called on a falling putt my first league. I had no idea. Im glad I know now.
most leagues are very relaxing. Most just give putts inside 10 ft. Flip the disc etc. I always mark etc, but overall it is very relaxing.
We just follow the rules. Nothing different. I generally call no OBs for doubles except the street.
What is a falling putt?
C. Any throw from within 10 meters or less, as measured from the rear of the marker disc
to the base of the hole, is considered a putt. A follow-through after a putt that causes the
thrower to make any supporting point contact closer to the hole than the rear edge of the
marker disc constitutes a falling putt and is considered a stance violation . The player must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the hole.
Joining leagues and tournaments is a big step for some players. Some people play for years with their buddies and don't think they are good enough. For anyone willing to put in the work to get better, nothing will cause a faster improvement than stepping up to organized competition. So you don't play leagues when you are good enough, you play leagues IN ORDER TO BECOME GOOD.

The biggest differences between casual play and organized play is that PDGA Rules are followed (mostly followed, that is).

Props to R.L. Norrick for actually reading the rules. Probably a small percent of tournament players have read them cover to cover. The rules not only tell you things you cannot do, they also tell you of options you have which may help you.

When most players say they know the rules, what they really know are the customs they were taught, not the actual rules. They don't know the rules because they never read them. Once you have read them you should carry them in your bag. The rules are brief and not all that complex. Put a copy in your bathroom and read them. You have nothing better to do.

The most commonly misunderstood rules for newbies are the stance and courtesy rules. Stance deals with throwing behind your lie (including the falling putt rule, which says you must demonstrate balance before moving forward on a putt) and foot faults. Courtesy is how you must act when you are not throwing.

The standards of courtesy run from basically none in a drunken casual round to quite exacting when playing in a tournament with Pros in your group. If a newbie pays attention and doesn't move or make noise when anyone else is throwing they have satisfied most of the courtesy rules.

The last thing a newbie should do when venturing into organized competition is to never give up. Hold your temper in check no matter how unhappy you are with how you are playing. Keep trying because there is much to learn, including how to break yourself out of the funk of a dismal round. Even the Pros should follow this rule.
Amen, brother! This advice should be handed out to every new league player.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968