www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'm starting a league in a couple of saturdays and I signed up for Disc Golf U online.  Paid 10 bucks and its supposed to help run your league.  Does all the handicapping and helps with payouts and what not.  Has anyone used this service before????  discgolfu.com

Tags: handicap, league

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't see the need in using that service, imo. All you basically really need is a pen and a notebook. Do an excel spreadsheet/file for keeping handicaps. The best way to get accurate handicaps is by playing the course....3 or more rounds...take the average....use the 80% factor and/or set a limit of strokes over handicap to prevent sandbagging.

If your group is new to the game/course and there isn't any local league stuff. You can work towards establishing player averages by playing doubles...instead of Best Shot, play Combined Score. Do that over a few weeks and before you know it...you have players averages for handicaps and A & B pool cut for future doubles events.
As far as payouts go...once you establish how much it costs to play for the purse...not extracurricular options. Use the Pdga's recommended 1/3 payout recommendation. Make sure last money position(s) at least gets their purse back. With that said, during doubles league we have a 9 players or less...winner's take all. 10 and more players closely follows the 1/3 standard.
Another perk of the service was that players can log in and see results and scores and what now. I think it even keeps track of points for the leadue. (i would like to have a points system but have no idead how it works) Also i was thinking that i don't want to have high entry fees at all. I was thinking about having a 3 dollar enter fee and pay the top third out in plastic each week. I have a guy that i can get 8 dollar esp plastic from. Also having an optional ace pot and maybe ctp pot. Ace pot would carry i guess 70% over to the next game if no aces and 25% go towards the "club" This is my first time ever doing this, I have talked to several people that I have not seen play the other league around here and they seem interested. The other club/league here charges 7 bucks per week, it's random draw doubles best shot. 1 dollar ace pot 5 dollar purse 1 dollar club fee. IMO this is way too expensive for boring week after week random draw best shot. Theres nothing to learn playing best shot. I want to see how better players get out of trouble and shoot tough shots, also, if you see 2 pros on the same team, you pretty much donated another 7 bucks for nothing. I'm trying to bring this sport to others, newer players. I really appreciate your advice on this. I want this to work out, there are 3 great courses here and I know there are lots and lots of poeple who love the game but hardly even know the rules because they won't play in tourny or leagues because of what it cost or the fear of being embarrassed by a pro. I know because I was one of those guys. Now that I see how poorly the only club here is run, I want to try to get something good going.
do you have a plastic payout suggestion? My idead was to pay it top third each with a disc. was going to make it handicap. charge 3 bucks per person. get the disc for 8 bucks. if 10 people, i pull 30 bucks, pay 3 discs 1 for each top 3, cost me 24 bucks, i have 6 bucks left for account to buy more prizes or get started saving for meber packs for club. do you think its ok for all winning players to only get 1 disc? with 1st place taking first pick and so on? with handicap, evefryone s]SHOULD eventually get a prize right? and to me a 15 dollar disc is a good prize for a 3 dollar entry fee. too good to be true though, i know I'm missing something. I need to collect some money to get the club started eventually too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968