www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So a buddy of mine gave me a disc today that is a Z Surge but it has a little grip patch that says patent pending from the factory.  Anyone else heard of this? This thing snapped out of my hand really fast today.

Tags: Surge

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't say I've read the spec rules in any detail, but I don't think stickers, per se, are illegal. I think that since this is a part of the formal manufacturing process it is still OK. Post-factory modification is not legal, such as a sticker like this that would be applied on the user-end. Might be totally wrong on this, though I doubt the boys in D land would test out an illegal process.

These discs were unveiled a few years ago at an annual Ann Arbor Area Disc Indeuced Sports Club event, our unique One Disc Challenge. Club members sign up for the season and in addition to the usual shirt/disc/mini for joining we pass out a special disc for testing out during a one round fun time tourney. Most discs we've featured have become part of the line-up (some to DGA). My favorite is the Zone from a couple years ago. Last year we got cyclones in modern plastic.
not pdga approved its a sticker (gimmick) , also its CHEATING to put anything like that on your disc.
THEN READ THEM
I know that a Surge is approved but can someone tell me for sure if this is legal???
I too have heard it's illegal but struggle to see how the gold weight sticker is legal but this one isn't.
We need some insight from Chuck Kennedy maybe.
I do not think stickers are illegal. Mark Ellis puts a stucko stuff on his discs for a good snap.
Discraft piloted the "grippy patch" a couple of years back, but never put it into production. To my knowledge this is not PDGA approved, or approvable, as the grip patch is more substantial than a weight sticker that would be applied to the bottom of the disc. That said, I liked the concept then and I like it now.

If you look at the photo, you'll notice that there is an oval indentation on the disc where the patch is applied. When I discussed this with Discraft, they had some concerns about needing to mold the discs with the oval indentation for the patch, which may have been the reason they never brought it into production. It would be interesting to see how the patch would work as a pure add-on without the corresponding indentation.

Disc Nation
One Nation Under Par
Feb Coupon: DGRUS102X (Save 15%)
To anyone (like myself) who likes the concept of this idea but wants to be legal, just remember that Mr. Mark Ellis has mentioned the benefits of stick-um multiple times and the fact that it is definitely pdga legal

These were PDGA approved.
I have one Elite Z Surge Ultra-Grip left in the Store. It is Green and weighs 172 grams.
After this one sells you are going to have to check the Collector Disc section if one ever comes through again!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968