www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hey everybody,
I am learning all I know about Disc Golf by playing and watching youtube videos. My biggest question is, at what point do you use a midrange vs a driver and at what distance would you go with a putter vs the mid?

Oh, and any other tips or pointers you may have would be greatly appriciated!

~~THANKS

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yOU NEED TO ESTABLISH A PRECIDENCE. tAKE YOU DISC INTO A FIELD AND SEE HOW FAR YOU CAN THROW THEM ACCURATELY. tHEN APPLY THAT TO THE COURSE. kINDA LIKE SIGHTING IN A RIFLE. i ALMOST ALWAYS TRY TO PUTT NO MATTER HOW FAR OUT I AM. i THROW PUTTERS OFF THE TEE SOMETIMES. jUST THROW YOUR DISC IN A FIELD AND SIGHT THEM IN.
anything 200ish and in i use a putter typically, 200-300 ill use a midrange and over 300 ill use a driver. but thats just my driving. on lay up shots to runs at the basket it all depends on the situation. i might be in the woods, use a puuter to place a good 20 ft. out shot and then use a midrange to run the chains.
Just like in ball golf, the easier clubs to hit is not the driver or the long irons, but the shorter clubs. In disc golf the shorter clubs are the midranges , fairway drivers, and putters/ multipurpose discs.They are less overstable , and have a more predicable flight. Try drives with those discs first and get used to them.I putt with a Innova spider/ multipurpose, and often drive with a Innova Cheetah or Leopard, try those.
you need to figure this out for yourself, like it has been siad, go to a field and throw. You need to see how far YOU throw and go from there. Some of the people you ask on here can throw a putter 450 feet, some cant. Thats why I say, go to a filed and start throwing, find out what works for you. Hell, I putt with a driver, it just works for me!!
It really does depend on what your comfortable throwing....and confidence is important.

I will add....approaching with a mid or putter is usually better then tossing a driver...because a driver is harder plastic and with it's edge will tend to skip farther away from the hole then you may like. some putters are softer then others...this is good..they absorb energy better...So in the case of approaching a basket installed on a hill or elevated area...a softer putter will tend to stop very close to where it lands without a lot of bounce and roll away.

Now in some cases you might only be 100+ feet away with no direct line or no real ceiling height for a small putter hyzer...in those cases I personally might throw a driver low and short, letting it skip around to the basket.

Also the wind should play a factor in what you throw too. Big headwind might not be good for understable putter approach. learn how the wind effects flights.
....all in all, it boils down to your skill level and what your confident about throwing.....Good Luck
lets see it, i want to know who throws a putter 450... as far as putters mids and drivers go, its using the most predictable path and the disc that will fly that path the easiest for you. putters will fly steady at 150, after that they take a little more convincing. some midranges are really overstable, like a drone, and have a 2.5 stability rating, so its flight will be very drastic in each of its characteristics in a short-range situation. the deeper the rim to the flight plate, gives you more room for a fan-grip and gives a more stable shot. the thinner the rim to the flight plate, it will take to the air more like a driver than an approach disc. more or less trying out different discs will send you on your way to knowing what works for you. try your friends' approach discs if they are different than yours and see what you think. really just trial and error will tell you what you need. hope this helps! good luck huckin

Tino "SilverBack" Medina said:
you need to figure this out for yourself, like it has been siad, go to a field and throw. You need to see how far YOU throw and go from there. Some of the people you ask on here can throw a putter 450 feet, some cant. Thats why I say, go to a filed and start throwing, find out what works for you. Hell, I putt with a driver, it just works for me!!
Jamie and Tino have the right idea. Go to a field and throw. Not only will you figure out distance for your shots but you will also learn the differences in flight patterns for different disc. Good Luck!!
and no more you tube, go play w/ some locals and/or local pros.
Practice!! And learn from players better than yourself. Try all the different discs/weights/plastics you can, and don't rule anything out until you've tried it for a myriad of shot types.

The point at which you should decide between disc types is up to you and your preferences. You could throw a high hyzer or a low mid-range, or other types of shots off the same tee, depending on the course, its conditions, and your personal preferences/abilities. Keep practicing.
Just go out and have Fun !!!!! The more Fun you have the more you'll be out there playing !!!!!

Midrange discs are used when you can't reach the hole when throwing your putter. Driver , same thing , just more distance.

There is technical terminology that is used , but this is easier to understand !!! Anhyzer , Hyzer , Flex shots will come later !!!!

Tip : When Driving and just starting out , don't lift your wrist any higher than your shoulder. Should be a Flat , Level throwing motion and don't tilt the disc in either direction. Just release straight forward !!!!

There is a good DVD out now called Fundamentals by World Champions Ken Climo and David Feldberg , that lists all the disc golf fundamentals you need for disc golf. Driving , Approach shots , Putting , Stance , Player Etiquette , etc...

Hope this helps some and it's nice to have you playing this Fun Sport !!!!!!

Donny Olow
You need to figure out how far you can throw each disc ACCURATELY, then use them ACCORDINGLY.
For me, putter 100' and in, XD 260' to 101', Cobra 300' to 260', Teebird over 300, then bigger and badder drivers for more, but you give up some accuracy, so they are for distance off the pad.
Mid-Range and Putters are way more accurate.
Sometimes it pays big just to be on the fairway!
This statement is true, "Drive for show, putt for dough"

Throw mid ranges and putters when you first start playing and go up from there. A disc that was put into my hand was a champion valk at mid 160's. As you progress you will naturally start "flipping" that disc to much and that's a good time to up your selection to the likes of a champ beast or star/champ wraith anywhere from 169-171 grams. In terms of distance throwing generally drivers over 250 feet, mid's 180-250 and putters for anything shorter than 180. From personal experience I would recommend the buzz over a ROC and def. put a teebird in your bag. Hope this helps and this is just from personal experience.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968