www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Dookville's posts of late have got me thinking again, Sorry y'all.

So, if I am not mistaken, from all the internet info available, I have somewhat come  to learn that Understable basically means the disc has a tendency to turn over to the right, for a RHBH thrower. Overstable means a disc has more of a tendency to flip Left, BUT go back flat and fight the tendency to flip for a RHBH thrower. If this basic Hypothesis is wrong for these two terms, please help me understand. 

Still, I have been wondering as I practice my disc chucking, what makes a Understable disc EASIER for a Newbie to learn than a Overstable disc???? What Physics are involved? 

I probably ask stupid questions, please forgive me. I am an Over Analytical person and I always feel the more I know, the better I may conquer something. I just don't quite understand this. Is it the fact that it takes so more More throw speed to make a Overstable disc do its magic? Do Understable discs do what they are meant to do more predictably? 

Thanks for any replies y'all. Much Appreciated. :)

Views: 1589

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Perfect question.

The reason why a lot of new players grab overstable discs is because they know it will always come back to the left.  The problem is that no form is worked on, and the player basically learns to throw the disc as hard as possible.

When you play with an understable disc, you need to throw the disc as the speed it was made to (Not chucking a Buzzz like it's a Boss).  You also need to learn release angles.  an understable disc like a Comet will hold any line if thrown correctly.  You can get a great hyzer out of it with the correct release angle, and speed.

Although a "hyzer flip" where you throw an understable disc with a hyzer, and it flips up flat (instead of throwing it flat and having it flip over to the right.. for RHBH) can get you a lot of distance, it is not what you should work on at the moment...  That just teaches you to chuck a disc as hard as you can with some random amount of hyzer on it.

In a nutshell... When you throw an overstable disc, it is like trying for distance and then trying to control it later.  When you throw an understable disc, you are learning to control it, and letting the distance come with time (and it will).  The later is a much better tool to build off of.

For a rhbh player a overstable disc thrown flat will go straight and turn left, an understable disc thrown flat should go straight and runt right. Now depending on how you throw, you may need a understable disc for a straight flight, or you might need a overstable disc to throw a straight shot. 

http://www.latitude64.se/Gismo/files/716/716.flight_chart_web.pdf

Look at the flight chart, green arrows would be understable, and red arrows would be over stable.

1:34 - 1:40 great video of an understable disc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAy5RMfufnI good video too.

AWESOME. Great stuff guys. Much appreciated....

The flight charts helped. Good Visual. Thanks Eric. I have also seen that video quit a few times, but I just watched it 3 more times, and I understood it Much better with the explanations here. So, here is another question then, and I know I am probably going to far cause your not seeing me throw, BUT...... When I TRY and throw an overstable disc, it Immediately leaves my hand flipping left onto its side and almost lands like I tried to throw a messed up Roller. NO distance at all either. Now, when I throw a extremely understable disc like my Stingray, it will almost immediately go Anhyzer and not come out of it. If I back off on throwing power, it will cut anhyzer, but then flatten back out about peak height and Maybe fade back a bit. My other understable discs (Skeeter, Kite, Shark) I chuck to my hearts content. If I feel like I made a good throw, they always do a perfect little S Curve going anhyzer 1st, then fading ever so slightly back left at the end. Now, I know for a FACT that I do not have proper throwing form yet. So, I am sure that plays a Big part in all of it. But, it seems weird to me that I can have what feels to me like a good throw with my Kite or Skeeter, then feel the same throw with the Stingray to watch it take off in the ultimate of anhyzers to never return. I dunno. If I talk to much, tell me to shut it..... Thanks again Guys.

The disc might just be doing what it is intended to do.  The Stingray is one of the most understable discs Innova makes.  It has the same flight rating as the Kite, just not as fast.  The plastic, and wear of the disc also has effect on it.  For example, Champion is usually the most stable of the plastics, followed by Star, then DX. 

What over stable disc are you throwing?

It sounds like you are doing just fine right now.  I only started a few years ago, and remember my shots doing long S curves, but I couldn't get better until I mastered the straight shot.  Your shark or skeeter should be able to go completely straight (Shark having a bit more turn at the end of its flight).

Don't worry about asking too many questions... That's what a forum is for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb7hqpMjsSg

Look at how they are throwing, head looking back, arm straight, pulling threw the shot. If you can figure that out you can start throwing the more overstable disc. You could grab a paper plate and throw in the house, just to get the footwork and release right. Once you get the power in your shot, you won't be as lost on the game. 

Good stuff guys.....no macho overstable or die instruction, love it.

Hard and flat just like in the videos. Once the understable discs start going right about a 100' out and keep going right, it's time to make a decision. You can hyzer flip them a little, but if you start changing your throwing style drastically it will have ill effects later on. You would want to consider going to a more stable disc, or if the understable disc was a lighter weight, you can increase in a few gram incriments until you reach max.

Shawn Bouche- Nice, I agree completely that early on understable discs let you stay in the correct arm slot and let you learn to throw. I still find myself just trying to get a disc on plane when I am moving to a more overstable mold, I hate that. No control, just thowing= poor accuracy and lost tournaments.

One thing I have experienced is a Overstable Disc will turn Away from your body during its Flight.

A Understable Disc will turn in towards your body during Flight !

Some newer players understand this easier than telling them HYZER or ANHYZER.

Nice!  I never thought of that.

I always try to add that if the discs are thrown up (As most people do at the beginning) the disc will hyzer out/turn away from your body in the end, even if it an understable disc.

An overstable disc wants to get to the ground faster that's why it turns to the left sooner. There is a great post somewhere on the board about The Champ giving Feldberg a lesson about over stable vs. understable. I will see if I can find it.
not adding anything, just following as I need to find a way to keep this in my memory...  i've been playing "seriously" for the last 5 years, and still don't always understand the dynamics of the discs...  i've actually marked them with flight characteristics so that i can try to remember what each one does....  UGH!

AWESOME! You guys are MOST HELPFUL! Thank You All. Helping me Understand this stuff all the Better. :)

Ken, I mark my discs with the flight numbers on the bottom also. I do it so I have more of an idea what each of my discs are Supposed to do, if I throw them Correctly, Lol. But I think it helps me anyway.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968