www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I was playing a round with my buddy yesterday morning and I told him we were wanting to start a new club in our town.  We are starting to get the support from others in the area and the club that exist is slowing dying off.  He brought up making a non profit...so I listened to him for a min. and then the conversation went where I thought it would.  He seems to always want to find an angle to make money or profit off of something.  He was talking about giving yourself a salary and other things.  We immediately got into cause I am just not like that...it's not how I think.  Always trying to find the selfish angles for things.  We talked a little more and it came down to me being like yeah you can join or not.  Well I was curious if maybe I am out of line for thinking this way???  Or possibly wrong.  I was wondering if any clubs do this around the country.  I know a lot of time goes into a club and a lot of people don't like doing things for free...so does this go on?  What other great benefits do other clubs see from being part of a non-profit org????  I have read some post about clubs and starting them on here but I haven't come across this yet.  Maybe I didn't look hard enough.  If all this goes on though I just would like to hear from clubs and tell me how they use it to the clubs advantage and how it helps disc golf grow in their community.  Since this is my main goal.

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We haven't had a club for very long, but we intend to be a nonprofit organization. So far everyone who has put money in to the club has received something in return. The eventual goal is to raise money for tournaments and course maintenance. You really only need 2 or 3 people to run a group and the rest of the work can be done by members who don't mind pitching in when they can.
sorry...I wasn't very clear. He was talking about making a non profit for profit.(I know sounds ridiculous) At least that's what I took from him. I should have made that more clear. I do want it to be non profit. But he was talking about making a non profit. Registering with the state as an non profit organization....tax write offs things like that. That is more of what I wanted to know. I am leaving out his make money scheme...and trying to figure out how the other clubs use their non-profit advantages...I want all of the money to go back into the course and to bring in bigger tournaments. Also I would like to make Disc Golf bigger in my area. We do have 2 courses. 3 schools with the Edge programs. But we need at least one more course on the other side of town. And if there are ways being a nonprofit organization can help this I want to know.
The Alaska Discgolf Association is a successful nonprofit (except for some bad board members)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968