www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

hows it goin, just got started in the disc golf world and already have 10 discs lol i have a buddy at work that got me into it so i play quite a bit, for about 4 months now. my question is where do i start? do i just keep playin until im good enough for tourneys? should i get a pdga membership already? how do you know what division to be in? rec? novice? inter? thanks for all the info in advance!

Tags: Beginner

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Each person is diff. I waited a year before I played in a tourny. Since I only play in a few. There was no point for me to join the PDGA, but if you ever want to play in an "A" teir tournament. You need a PDGA card. I also started in Rec. I would say that's your best bet. Just to get a feel for it.
Also check out discgolfreview.com. They have good instructional articles in it.

Good luck and have FUN!
I would say enter a tourney, I once played a tourney in Eugene and the guy that came in last place, it was his first game he ever played! His friend was going to play so he came along and he had a blast! So unless you are looking to go pro just join in at the AM level ad have fun! Most of the time you get things like disc's and tee shirts... so even though you pay to play you have fun, meet new people and hopefully come out with a few new things.

It also really helps local clubs and others that are trying to grow the sport of Disc Golf when they have a nice show up at their tourneys! A lot of time and money can go into them and if no one shows up it cost the TD or club putting it on.

So I say go for it!
It depends. If all you want to do is have fun then you don't have to do anything different.

If you want to get better then you need to find and play with better players. Playing with the same group of players generally means you will not learn much and have no need to get better. Once you start playing in leagues and tournaments your skills will quickly improve, especially if you consciously try to learn new form and shots and techniques.

You are already good enough to play in leagues and tournaments. I played my first tournament a week after I threw my first golf disc. You don't know the rules and customs of tournaments but playing in tournaments will teach you those. The choice of division is easy: enter the lowest division they offer. The lowest division exists for players new to the tournament scene. Since disc golf is a life long sport you have plenty of time to move up.

Heck yes, join the PDGA. Support the sport you love and get a handicap rating. Get a PDGA number and write it on your discs. Get the magazine and look at the national tournament schedule. Start figuring out what your first big road trip to a tournament will be. Spend a week next summer and play in the the Amateur World Championships or Amateur Nationals or one of the big events.

Playing disc golf is great fun but it is more fun as you get better. Go get better.
Find a local club and go play there every week with different players. As you play with them you will find different techniques and things to try. i played in tournament towards the end of the first year i started playing.

Start out by having Fun and learning to throw different discs !!!

It always helps to play with people better than you, dont be intimidated. Play tourneys if you got the money and the time. The PDGA membership will save you 10$ each tourney, plus you get a disc and mini-marker with your memb. number. The number is yours for life. Are you willing to commit?

I just started playing in July. I played in my first tourney in late August I took 3rd place in rec and met a bunch of great players and got some new plastic.  The best advice given to me was to play rounds with some local pros.  I joined up in a local disc golf club, there were two members before me and they were the founders.  we got up to 7 members but did nothing as a club due to the president getting a new job and not having the time.  But I did meet 3 local pros through the club and play with them every week.  That has improved my game a lot. Its great to see the lines and different shots they take as well as which disks they throw where.  The biggest help to my game has been a practice basket that I built.  Putting was one of the worst parts of my game. Check out Mark Ellis' confidence building course.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq_bh_GtjtQ.  I threw putts for ten minuets every time that I smoked a cigarette.  It added 10-15 feet to my circle after about two months.  Just get out there and play and if you see others on the course try to play with them.  Good luck

take your time

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968