www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

OKAY PLEASE FEEDBACK ON THIS.. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM I DO WITH MIDRANGES???

I HAVE BEEN PLAYIN ABOUT 5 YEARS AND KNOW ANY DISC INNOVA MAKES AND HAVE TRIED THEM ALL, BUT I CANT FIND ANY MIDRANGES THAT I DONT TURN OVER I HAVE TRIED EVERY KIND OF ROC, SPIDER, CRO, ETC. LATELY I HAVE BEEN HAVING TO USE WHIPPETS FOR MIDRANGES DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INPUT THAT MIGHT HELP????

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Shane Shipman,

Bingo.  Nice call Nick Young.  If the top Pros (who have amazing power) can control a midrange and you cannot then the problem is not with the disc but with you.

So first, stop shouting.  Next start throwing flat and straight and smooth.  If that doesn't work then get a Drone.  The Drone won't fix your form but it will mask your flaws.

Eventually you want to be able throw flat and straight and smooth so get a Buzzz and start practicing with it.  Don't try to throw it over the moon.  Instead focus on flat and straight and smooth (do you notice a pattern here?)  Power without control will not get you very far in this game.  Because after your hole-in-one on a 500 foot hole, the next hole is a tight tunnel only 200 feet long.  A one and a six still add up to seven and the underpowered guy on your card just took a 3 and a 2 on those two holes and is up by 2 strokes on you.

Once you can handle a Buzzz then go get a Rattler (an understable putter).  By the time you can float and control a Rattler inside 100 feet you will be a real golfer and your competition will fear you.  Right now your competition only fears you in a long distance driving contest.

180g glow roc

ok thanks for the tips mark and nick so basically i need to stop trying to throw my midranges like a driver and stop trying to hit 400 ft. with a midrange and if i dont think i can control my midrange i should throw a reliable fairway driver and focus my midrange discs on my small game? correct?

Don't be so prejudiced. Unless yer a sponsored pro, there's absolutely no reason not to try different manufacturers. I used to be like you, then I broke down and tried Discraft and found a whole new world. Now my bag has mostly Innova with some Discraft and Latitude 64. I'm 49 and earlier today I threw a NUKE 500 feet. Too bad the basket was @430 ;o))

okay thanks for the tips...

One easy way to start fixing your problem is to take your mids to a field and start throwing big hyzers. Then after a few throws start to dial it back to a smaller hyzer and continue throwing with less hyzer until you are throwing straight.

Exactly, I did the same thing as you several months ago. I pulled the Buzzz and my Roc outta my bag thinking that I had outgrown them. Picked up a Wasp thinking I solved the issue. But I have never had an overstable mid end its flight straight as its flight. So I slowed everything down and focused on my form. There is a place in our games for those big mid shots, but far more of smooth and straight shots required. Just stick with it and think "form=distance"

Shane resonded: ""ok thanks for the tips mark and nick so basically i need to stop trying to throw my midranges like a driver and stop trying to hit 400 ft. with a midrange and if i dont think i can control my midrange i should throw a reliable fairway driver and focus my midrange discs on my small game? correct?""

Short term sure.  But long term you need to control your power, not just diminish it.  This is a function of form.  Most guys who flip mids over are not throwing FLAT and STRAIGHT and SMOOTH.  The odds are that you are turning your wrist over as you release the disc, so concentrate on the very last instant before release and snap flat (add a bit more hyzer to your release angle).  Follow through flat.  Dead nuts flat.  If that doesn't cure it then overcompensate and give it more hyzer angle.  Just because you think you are releasing flat does not mean that is what is actually happening.

The disc never lies.  It always tells you what you are doing.  Watch the disc.  If it is flipping over then it is because you are causing it to do so.  A lot of good Pros throw a mid 400 feet or more and control it.  You can too if you have that kind of power.  It sounds like you do.

This is pretty much all good advice.  There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said, but I'll try anyway.

Just like Rescue, I started off trying to power grip everything.   I basically learned on drivers, thus I was unknowingly throwing all my discs as if they were drivers.  Throwing mids typically ended with failure and frustration.  I would flip virtually everything over and was convinced the discs just weren't right for me.  Literally the only mid I could throw was a Drone.  Then I started using a modified fan grip for mids and putters.  This vastly improved my accuracy and overall flight pattern.  I can't say I don't get a little jealous when I see guys throw a Buzzz as hard as they can--I've even been experimenting again with an occasional power gripped Buzzz--but I'm confident this approach is better for my game.  In short, gripping/throwing putters and mids differently than drivers allows for greater accuracy compared to greater snap, respectively, upon release.

i have decent power i broke my personal record a few months ago, i hit 587 ft. but like you said that doesnt mean anything if i cant throw 200 ft. accurately. ill work on my release and form and let you know how it works.. thanks for the help...

well looks like i have something to look forward to working on lol.

I see some decent advice here but I'm confused about the comments of throwing drivers and mids differently.
If I am driving, weather it be with a putter, mid, or driver, everything is pretty much the same minus maybe a shortenened step and less speed. I'm still gripping the same, releasing with a lil hyzer, having it flip up, cruise and do what it does...

The comet helped me correct some form issues and has obtained a perm spot in the bag. Imo its the best disc to help learn snap vs speed. If you're stuck on innova the stingray or mako would be simillar.

Also, try lining up the disc with the forarm tendons. This will leave your wrist in a handshaking like position- this is the release most needed on the course.
GL

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968