www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'm 53, took up this sport in August 09. Make no mistake, I plan to play this right up to the time they lower me into the ground. The thing is, at my age, progress is slow. A 50 yr old doesn't have the flexibility or muscle mass of a twenty-something. Throwing discs is hard on our joints. In the workforce, there is about to be a massive shift as baby boomers start to retire in record numbers. This sport will also see a corresponding rise in the number of older players. So....I'm wondering, has there been any discussion as to developing discs tailored toward older players? Or throwing styles? I throw forehand, and I suffer after every round. For now, I'll take that trade, as I love this sport. But I think major disc golf companies ignore the needs of older golfers at their peril. Whattya y'all think?

Views: 36

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm 52 and have been playing for over 30 years. learn a backhand. Use light disc's, way less wear and tear. Also have you tried a 150 putter? I will never go back to a heavy putter. I have a cart but i only use it on courses with short grass and smooth fairways, or for long tournaments. 150 r-pro boss added 30 to 50 feet to my drives. Great disc.
When I read the title of this post the first thing that came to my mind is yeah,  Older golfers need Stratus's instead of Nukes.

There comes a point when you realize that you cannot master something...I'm there with respect to a RHBH.  But, acknowledging that and tailoring my game to my RHFH has paid off.  I'm pretty happy with my putter, I've actually learned to throw it in a variety of different ways.  I throw heavy discs, but don't feel any pain since I changed my style. 

Ya know, I think people missed the whole point of my post....sigh.  No matter, I always appreciate feedback.

Since I officially fall into the category of older disc golfers now (50 years old) I might as well add my two cents. I do not throw lighter discs. I also just started throwing a Lemon Lake Katana and I have recently thrown some shots with it that are longer than I have ever thrown before. I do experience some pain from time to time but I don't think about it too much. I also don't take any painkillers (no aspirin, no acetaminophen, no ibuprofen). I just deal with pain. Frankly we are a society that relies on a pill for most everything out there (along with the huge list of side effects). So at this point I have no plans to slow down or do anything differently. I just plan to play like I always have. And so far it is working. Maybe when I'm a lot older and wrapped in Depends I will change. But right now I am just going to keep on throwing and enjoying life.
THE WAHOO is special enough....

I'm not sure if we missed the point.Feedback was given to what we all know what is out there to throw.Chuck mentioned the PDGA site for senior dg'ers,150 and weights  have been advised and the answer might be hidden beneath all responses...NO.The best answer to all this might still  be Chuck's response,PDGA senior site.

This sport grew from those babyboomers that helped Wham-O,Ed & Fred to what disc golf is today.I've thrown a lid,frisbee,disc since late 50's.Off and on for the fun and serious competition.Take what you learn,see,read and questions asked to encompass this into our/your senior filled days.Jusy my 2 cents.See ya on the fairway youngster;>}.Enjoy,have FUN and don't take this too seriously.from one BB to another BB.

Yea, I re-read it and you may be right...except that I still say opportunities to attract NEW (older) golfers are missed.  Maybe more emphasis on doubles play, where someone without a killer drive can still contribute every hole.  I think there are still way too many people I encounter who have no idea this sport even exists.  I didn't until recently...and I played a ton of sports in my day.  This sport fills a hole in my life that existed when I stopped playing both basketball and stick golf.  Anyway, I'm having fun, and I appreciate it when people chime in.  Go throw!
I only use Ibuprofen because I had to cut back on the Heroin!
Practice putting,half the battle.
Very nice. I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue. Airplane.
and dont call me shirley

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968