www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'm 53, took up this sport in August 09. Make no mistake, I plan to play this right up to the time they lower me into the ground. The thing is, at my age, progress is slow. A 50 yr old doesn't have the flexibility or muscle mass of a twenty-something. Throwing discs is hard on our joints. In the workforce, there is about to be a massive shift as baby boomers start to retire in record numbers. This sport will also see a corresponding rise in the number of older players. So....I'm wondering, has there been any discussion as to developing discs tailored toward older players? Or throwing styles? I throw forehand, and I suffer after every round. For now, I'll take that trade, as I love this sport. But I think major disc golf companies ignore the needs of older golfers at their peril. Whattya y'all think?

Views: 50

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am 45. I have been a year longer then you. This winter, I did lots of thinking and decided to try 150class discs.
Wow.
I mean WOW! WOW! This season has been mostly good so far.

I love the 150s. I suggest looking at Hero Disc USA for good 150 class Innova discs. They have 150 RPro Rocs and 150 Champ Monarchs and 150 class and less Katanas. I love my 156g Katana I can 's' out the disc on most drives.

I hit my first ace with a 150g Monarch. I live a very windy part of the country (South Dakota) and have no problems dealing with wind. On days that heavy disc players have problem with win I have a touch more problem. However I throw low flat throw. My common mid range is 165-170 Buzzz.

I also use a cart for tourneys.
ia bit of advice that might help man, is take it slow and try to just slowly pick it up and learn new things.
find something that suits you and works for you,
It would probably make it easier if you did so and easier on your body as well.
Try lighter plastic . 165 grams or less even.
The PDGA has a new initiative addressed toward senior players. I think the head of the group is over 70. But the idea that players can play disc golf 'til they drop is the purpose of the group to address issues pertaining to older players. http://www.pdga.com/disc-golf-for-seniors
Damn, you made me spit out my metamucil.
Seems that the conventional wisdom is that I get some lighter discs, and work on a more fluid throwing style. I want to thank everyone that took the time to butt chime in with advice. Watch your six, fellas, I'm gonna be comin up in the senior class in no time.
.....lol
Stretching before you leave the house and then before your first round of dg.Throw 150 line of discs,Hawk,Impact,Comet,Stratus discs have been mentioned.Find your roller game.I've been throwing lids since the late 50's and the shoulder knows it all too well now.Play your game,enjoy the fun.Practice your putting for those 15-30 min daily.Will turn 59 this November,some of those years saw little action,but I've always thrown.Welcome to this club,hit chains.
I turn 50 this year so at that point I think I might as well sign up for the electric wheel chair or the Power Scooter. Actually DG keeps me young (along with the beer).
This may mean it's time to adjust your throw. You're using the same throw for lighter discs, thus why they flip. Try tipping the wing down and letting the power of your throw straighten it out in the air.
Maybe it is just a matter of getting used to the timing of a lighter disc. Your arm does get moving faster with a 150 class disc. I have a hard time believing there's not a 150 class disc out there that wouldn't work for you. The 150g dx xcal I had was still crazy overstable.
I think there are discs more suited to my style and age. The disc golf store I frequent doesn't offer many, but I'll go online and order some soon.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968