www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'm 53, took up this sport in August 09. Make no mistake, I plan to play this right up to the time they lower me into the ground. The thing is, at my age, progress is slow. A 50 yr old doesn't have the flexibility or muscle mass of a twenty-something. Throwing discs is hard on our joints. In the workforce, there is about to be a massive shift as baby boomers start to retire in record numbers. This sport will also see a corresponding rise in the number of older players. So....I'm wondering, has there been any discussion as to developing discs tailored toward older players? Or throwing styles? I throw forehand, and I suffer after every round. For now, I'll take that trade, as I love this sport. But I think major disc golf companies ignore the needs of older golfers at their peril. Whattya y'all think?

Views: 43

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you plan to keep this up, I would recomend taking up at least a mild workout plan. I am 44 and have been using a Bowflex for the past 3 years. I was in pretty unfit state before this, but now I am in the best condition of my life. I have notice mild gains in distance, but the most important thing is something you mentioned. I can play two or three rounds and not feel like I have been ran over by a truck for the next three days. Hope this helps.
I'm over 60 and have played disc golf for 30 of those years. I suggest throwing lighter plastic and use a cart . Stretching becomes real important. As far a special equipment (discs) ? I don't think it will happen. Look at ball golf. There are no special clubs or balls to speak of other than long shafted putters and hybrid fairway woods touted as good for older players. The younger pros are using them too because people will use whatever is out there that works better.
30 years? Congratulations! I wondered about lighter discs, I throw a 175 Star Excaliber since I learned I could throw it straight and long. Its been 8 months or so, can't seem to get a handle on a RHBH, but I'll keep trying. Do you think there is truly a significant difference between 160 and 175 grams? Enough that one weight may be more or less likely to cause a throwing injury? I'm not suggesting there isn't, but when you are talking about grams...it seems so slight. Lastly, I'll admit to forgetting to stretch sometimes. A very bad habit.
Like I said, I'm all in on this sport. Yes, workouts are always a good idea, I try to keep fit, and I still play a bit of round-ball when I get the chance. I guess I'm just saying that the sport tends to ignore the needs of older players, and that might be a bit myopic as the demographics of this sport shift over the next ten years. Anyway, thanks for your input.
15 grams might not seem like much when held still but during the whipping action of your throw's hit, the extra mass is multiplied significantly.
The thing is the older discs that were made. like the Stingray the Raven, X-Clone, Scorpion, those would be your best bet for discs, dont try and use the Boss, Nuke, ect.....My Grandfather used to go out and play with me and hes 56, he used a spectra a orc and a couple beasts and had a messed up back, so uses the throws that work best for you, and discs, try throwing backhand (but dont throw out your shoulder like my G-pa did)...lol...and remember to ALWAYS HAVE FUN.....
Though in fairly young, I think discraft offers a good selection of "old timer" plastic as well as lightning, though I'm not as famillar with them. When I say old timer, I mean less stable or stable plastic like the putt'r, rattler, comet, eclipse, hawk,Impact, stratus, xl, xpress, cyclone, and a handful of 150's like the avenger and flick.
The idea is that older players have been playing for longer so they have more touch for the stable plastic, partly from the old shorter courses and from frisbee backgrounds. Overstable plastic will cover "form flaws" for newer players.
To throw those discs forhand, they will have to be thrown smooth, which should be easier on the joints.
What discs are you throwing now?
I think it does matter, but drop all the way down to 150 class. The 150g xcaliber I had was one of the most overstable discs I've ever thrown. They make a 150g z flick that is crazy stable too. So you can throw 150 class, save your joints, probably pick up some extra distance, and not sacrifice anything in terms of stability.

Maybe you just need to try some of the other stuff out there. A 175 star xcal takes a lot of arm to get it to fly far. There are other choices out there that don't take as hard of a throw to get them to go about as far. The pro katana is a good example. Definately try out the lighter weights when possible. DaveD from Innova said that only the really really big arm throwers achieve full arm speed potential with 175g discs. He said the rest of us would benefit from lighter weights. Pick up something less stable that will do the work for you. Pick up a star sidewinder. The 150 sidewinders are remarkably easy to go far and you don't have to throw your arm out to do it. My beat up pro d stratus goes the furthest with just a minimal effort. I do sympathize with your plight. I don't look forward to that, but I am planning for the inevitable and I think there are currently some good options out there that are better for aging players.

I hope none of that was insulting from a punk kid. :-/ I mean it with all due respect and I hope it helps you out.
You would be suprised at how a few grams will change the feel of a throw. Stable discs like the wraith , orcs , beasts ect will throw well even at 150 grams with a lot less effort. Wind conditions then start to dictate when you can throw them.
Ryan, I throw a 172 star-excaliber for drives. I throw a 168 valkrie RHBH when i have to. My approach game has improved greatly, but of course, I need more distance and putting is still sketchy. I have noticed that a smoother delivery is also easier on my joints. I can handle simple shoulder pain, but tendons in the elbow are a different story.
Mark, good point. I guess I 'm saying that its been my experience that the discs aren't necessarily marketed toward older players, and baby-boomers in particular like to be catered to....its just the marketer in me making that slightly overwrought assertion. ;)

Oh, believe me, I'll throw anything I can make good shots with.
Yeah, that sounds reasonable...I don't have the best grasp on the physics of this game...but I'm learning.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968