www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'm 53, took up this sport in August 09. Make no mistake, I plan to play this right up to the time they lower me into the ground. The thing is, at my age, progress is slow. A 50 yr old doesn't have the flexibility or muscle mass of a twenty-something. Throwing discs is hard on our joints. In the workforce, there is about to be a massive shift as baby boomers start to retire in record numbers. This sport will also see a corresponding rise in the number of older players. So....I'm wondering, has there been any discussion as to developing discs tailored toward older players? Or throwing styles? I throw forehand, and I suffer after every round. For now, I'll take that trade, as I love this sport. But I think major disc golf companies ignore the needs of older golfers at their peril. Whattya y'all think?

Views: 47

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Trae, Find time to have fun is my motto. You had to point out that your granpa is only 56, didn't you. You will triple bogey for that...
A few years ago I'd try to throw hard to throw far. It led to soreness and I never really threw that far. After playing entire rounds with only a putter it forced me to realize that smooth is far- and I was very suprised at how far putters can go. Now I can play almost everyday with multiple round days. My buddy that's at least twenty years my senior, plays non- stop. He throws a xl when he needs 290', and a surge ss for anything longer( he throws forehand).
I'm not one to say "if you don't throw ---- don't throw this speed disc", but I will say that players were throwing far and having fun even before the valk was around.
Throwing slower discs are easier on the body because they take less speed to get thier full flight- and they still have a ton of distance potential. A reaper or tracker may be a good inbetween as they are slower but still a bit overstable.
As far as discs go Innova has come out with an R-Pro Boss and the Katana. I play with some older players and theses two discs have improved there distance by at least 50 feet. Keep in mind that these people throw RHBH. If you want to improve on your RHBH try a 167-169 Katana. As far as your ? I do feel that they try and make discs for everybody. I know for shure that they did not make these discs for my game.
Man, are you kidding? I appreciate anyone that takes the time to respond to another golfer's concerns. Seriously, this is how we learn. Thanks for the suggestions...I'm ordering a few lighter discs this very day. Be well.
I just turned 50 and have been playing for the past 24 years. I always stretch before and after, and carry a folding stool with a back rest to sit on during waits. I still throw ovestable discs but am throwing lighter than when I started. I like 165 to 170 gram drivers now. Mids and putters 172-175. Lighter discs have been much easier on my wrist, elbow, and shoulder. I now wear an elastic elbow wrap that really helps a lot when I throw. I have an arthritic right hip but no pain currently, and arthritic left ankle (also no current pain) I usually wear high top hiking boots and sometimes an ankle brace with low tops on uneven terrain. I have two degenerating discs that go out once a year so I stretch and try to do mild exercises to maintain. I take ibuprofen before playing and I ice my elbow or back after if it hurts. I watch every step I take to not risk turning an ankle. This is all for the 2 3/4 hours in between throwing discs. I try to be careful and not injure anything. I still compete in the pro division and do OK. I love the game and can play this and ball golf my whole life with these adjustments. Pay attention to your body, and rest and stretch. Take some time off if you're hurt. I have learned a good roller that I need for extra distance on some holes that others can bomb in the air. Practice this shot too. The R-Pro Boss is money! I have 159, 160, and 161 grams. They are great in still or down wind. I just got a 170 glow Stalker that is great for straight drives. I guess I'm starting to throw less overtstable stuff!! Have fun.
My soreness went away after I realized that I shouldn't throw as hard as possible on every throw. Use 80-85% of your maximum (grunt, see stars, etc.) strength. The last 15-20% doesn't help your score anyway.
f**king punk kids
throw down the middle, use red tee boxes, sorry misspoke can't use red tee boxes till 60, take drugs, get a meteor and learn to throw backhand, you must persist until u get it, too important not to have. up here in canada we throw in hills and snow and we still play .... we even have it as part of our state ( provincial senior55+ ) games. 53 your still a baby.
-- News Flash --
Boomer Golf Discs, Inc. announces three new molds:
The Flying Prune - guaranteed to keep your game flowing smoothly
The In-Depends-Able - for staying dry on those water hazard shots
The Viago - keep the tip up for unbelievable hang time
WOW... I have to grant that this is clever.
Do you have a website for Boomer Golf Discs?
Seriously, there is some good advice in the earlyer post. I passed number 60 (not score) last year and the more I play disc golf, the better I feel. My back doesn't bother me as much. All of the bending and stretching helps you. I have had a total hip replacement and have arthritic knees, so I use a cart to carry my gear. I think it saves wear and tear on my joints. I use discs in the 168-170 range and some of the older disc (beast, sidewinder) work better for me than the newer discs. A truly great sport for all ages!
haha, nice...for an old fart. ;-) I am actually not THAT young I suppose. The 14-15 year olds I was giving tips to are now in their early 20s and bombing their discs 50' past me. I turn 29 this month and stay home with 3 kids 4 and under, so I often feel a bit older and the hair is graying WAY too fast.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968