www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'm 53, took up this sport in August 09. Make no mistake, I plan to play this right up to the time they lower me into the ground. The thing is, at my age, progress is slow. A 50 yr old doesn't have the flexibility or muscle mass of a twenty-something. Throwing discs is hard on our joints. In the workforce, there is about to be a massive shift as baby boomers start to retire in record numbers. This sport will also see a corresponding rise in the number of older players. So....I'm wondering, has there been any discussion as to developing discs tailored toward older players? Or throwing styles? I throw forehand, and I suffer after every round. For now, I'll take that trade, as I love this sport. But I think major disc golf companies ignore the needs of older golfers at their peril. Whattya y'all think?

Views: 50

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Age can be a factor in every thing you do. But I find that since I've started playing disc golf I feel more alive, both physicality and mentality.  This sport should be mandatory in all retirement communites, it is a low cost, low physical impact and a good way to get needed exercise, you play it at your own pace.  With a positive attitude and commom sense, and staying in shape  you should be able to play this sport as long as you stay active. 
I couldn't agree with you more Conrad.  I have always been athletic, but disc golf has upped my workouts a notch.  I feel tired, but feel like I have had some great exercise.  You balance on logs crossing creeks, walk up and down hills and mentally I feel worked out as well.  I take my father who is 87 out with me to play and he does a decent job.  He loves playing disc golf and says he feels less stiff and tired after he plays.  It should be mandatory for everyone.  Great sport, great fun. 
I turn 50 this year and have been playing since I was 10 (not a typo). In my thirties I could throw a Cobra 400'. Now I can throw the Nuke even farther. IMHO you need to learn backhand because of the damage your tendons are incurring from throwing forehand. I have dropped my weights from 175s to about 168-170 for discs like Beasts and Tee-rexs. I still go max weight for discs I want to be super over stable like 11x Champ Firebirds and all my putters. I also throw 150 class Wraiths and r-Pro Bosses but my 170 nukes go farther with more accuracy. Innova is making discs like the Vulcan, Katana and the Wahoo that in lighter weights (160-165) are WAY understable which is perfect for our weaker arms.

Working out is important. Not for strength, but flexibility. During rounds I find touching my toes helps my back(along with the now indispensable Ibuprofen).

All that being said, I came in third in am masters at the Spring Fling at 49 and plan to DOMINATE the am grandmaster division if I can find anybody withe balls to compete at this age.
Just an update...I changed my form and as long as I keep my elbow tucked close, I don't seem to suffer any joint or tendon pain.  I have stopped trying to muscle the disc, and I have developed a pretty decent snap.  Its been fun finding which discs will hold an anheiser for dog-leg left approaches.  I come prepared to give up distance to younger players, but a little course management and good putting keeps me competitive.  I agree that this sport should add years to my life, and corny as it sounds, life to my years.
I appreciate companies making lighter discs - but stores don't seem to carry many of them. I have yet to find a Vulcan under 162g (supposed to go down to 158g) or a Flow below 168g. I have several older model discs in the 155 - 160g range and I use them a great deal for distance shots.
Yes we need to drink better beer.

I agree with lighter discs not being available.  I have to look for most of my discs online.  However, I have found a local store that will order for me when he can find what I want.  I would also like more pink discs and this is not because I am a woman, but they are easier to find in the grass and weeds. 

So....  Lighter and pink is my request.

And to those who think alcohol is part of being fit or sports, you are just fooling yourself.  There is no need to live your life in a drug or chemical clouded world.  Get high on what do and this sport is one thing that will help you live longer and better, not alcohol or drugs.

For those of you who are looking for lighter weight  discs, I find that most online stores have a good slection and usally cheaper and some even free shipping.

It would nice if some company would make discs in dayglow colors.

I dunno, I'm pretty fit for my age.  Alcohol isn't a part of sports, but its a part of life.  If you enjoy beer, then by God have a beer.  Have many. Live and let live, and all that.  Also, I know many people who are quite fit but that don't play any sport very well.  This isn't really an endurance sport, otherwise people who are out of shape couldn't play it. 

I throw 172-175 discs RHFH.  When I'm forced to throw RHBH, I have a couple of lighter discs.  Still can't throw them all that well.

The only guys with balls call themselves pros. Move up.
never mind

Wow, a rant about beer consumption. I'm fifty years old and believe that at this point in my life I can have a beer or two when I want one. And I am healthy and definitely not a drunk or binge drinker. Lighten up.

I really don't want to hear about getting old and my "different needs". That's not for me. I just go out and play disc golf and enjoy myself. That is what life is all about. Sure I have a few more aches and pains than when I was younger but who cares? In fact I'm going out to play a round today in the sixty degree weather we are having today. And I won't be drinking any beer until tonight when I get done with work and polish off my last Anchor Steam before bed.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968