www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I know that I would much rather play in good weather However I played in the snow that we were fortunate enough to get the other day and I had fun tracking the shots in the snow. Finding where the disc hit etc etc. I would have to say that it is the one good thing about it. Does anyone else have any thing good to say about snow? boooo winter!

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

one good thing about snow........ it melts. that being said, i have never played in the snow. typically we get about 1 inch of snow every 2 years. i have played while it was snowing, but it just melts when it touches the ground.
If you have nothing nice to say ,Dont say nothing @ all .....lol
get to miss work and get paid for it here. But not a big fan of the snow.
I'm a teacher so I do like snow days. While tracking discs might be fun for a little while, I find it gets old real quick and I'm sick of throwing discs with ribbons. Can't wait for spring.
If it isn't too icy the snow will keep an aggressive approach shot from traveling too far past the basket. I have a tendency to go for more shots in the winter knowing that the disc will stick and sit where it lands.
One good thing about the snow is that when the season is over and the snow is gone, its just THAT MUCH BETTER. So we get all happy and go out and find the discs that escaped during the winter months while enjoying a snow free, yet muddy round all at the same time.
I think that cold weather and snow puts a premium on pure drives with good form. A slightly slick tee doesn't bother a player with good form nearly as much as one with poor or mediocre form. Also, the disc doesn't stay in the air as well so good snap is more important. Lastly, in conditions where the top layer is crispy from thaw and freeze, you can hit halfway to the basket with a low hard line drive and get all the way there.
Nothing like a good crust for some entertaining golf.

The baskets get shorter when its snowy out. The holes, they're still long, though.

Snow keeps the crowds down, that's good. So do entry fees. Snow + entry fees = peace and quiet.

I am looking forward to the roller season.

Joe
Have played in light snow flurries just starting to stick. Dealt with the cold OK being a Florida boy playing in WV. I am Actually hoping to get a chance to play in the snow, soon. Vacation is only 10 days away......SWEEEEEEET.
If you are in an area that is not used to getting snow, tracking a disc in the snow can be fun. If you live in an area that gets lots of snow every year, the golfers are still out there so now you get more cattle paths (foot prints) everywhere and the discs can just disappear into one of them and you will never know where it went.

The snow really does level the playing field especially with slick or non shoveled pads. Bad form is punished, discs fly different, good players get frustrated, rollers are not an option, depth perception changes. The crusty layers are good for finding discs and a little extra distance at times, but it is more tiring to have to walk in than fresh fluffy snow. Especially when there is knee deep or deeper snow.

Some things I love about the snow. No huge groups crowding the course! The snow has made you practice your stationary throws. Using snow to my advantage, skip shots, scooby overhand shots, and throwing the disc upside down using your thumb, let the edge of the disc land just in front of you with a good snap and it will turn and burn really hard (great for tight turns getting out of occasional trouble). When spring gets here, all of the undergrowth and tall weeds are matted down from the snow, no neddles, and makes the course play a little more open for a few months. This gives you some room for error so you aren't punished as bad (loosing a disc) for a wide shot, while adjusting to the power and distance you lacked all winter. The leaves are not on the trees yet so you can see lines that you would otherwise never knew existed. By the time June, July, hits you are shooting the narrow fairways lined with hazzards easier.
I think trackin a disc in winter is extraordinary because in certain conditions you can see exactly what happened to the disc, with deflections, spin, objects struck and angles. These marks in the snow can be quite beautiful and telling. I have found that I lose less discs in winter because I mostly play after dusk and with LED lights, which glow through the snow. I hear alot of people on here, and locally say who say that they can't or won't play in snow or adverse conditions but I do not understand this. The funny thing is, these people claim that we cannot handle the heat and humidity but I know I can play well in ANY weather, not just ideal conditions. The game is even more challenging in adverse conditions and I love it. Rain, snow, sleet or hail, I will be Hukin
This is the first 'big snow' winter since I started playing. I've found it increases my engagement with every shot in order to help find my (or their) disc. It's a little more visceral. I'm hoping to bring that in to the warm weather, too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968