www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So, how many of you out there really play during the winter? In years past, I would play the occasional round as long as the sun was out, the temp was around 30 to 40 degrees, and the snow was no more than 2" deep. With this criteria I would get in maybe 3 or 4 rounds the entire winter season. 
Well, last winter and this winter I have expanded my criteria to the following: no snow more than a foot deep, no ice rink courses (currently Golden Rod is nothing but icy fairways), can tolerate down to 0 degrees, no blizzards or rain, and no penguins. 
I've played a little more than half a dozen rounds just in this Month of January. I'm definately hooked on winter golf. Top that ball golfers!
    My son played is first round of winter golf last winter at Bandemer,the 9-hole course in Ann Arbor on the north side. Thankfully, there was only a good dusting of snow on the ground, but he loved it! Earlier this month, Conor and I took out a friend, Eric, to Goldenrod (an 18 hole course) in Davison. We only had time for 9 holes, but we all had a lot of fun. It was a partly sunny day with the temp being around 38 degrees. There was betwen 1 and 3 inches of snow on the ground. All in all, conditions were perfect for a quick round. But, I digress. Conor had a blast playing his second round of winter golf. For Eric, this was his very first round of winter golf and only his second time on a course. He had a great time and said that he would do it again. He is even thinking of having a go at one of this year's Ice Bowl tourneys.
    So, honestly, how many of you enjoy winter golf and why? And if you have reservations about playing during the winter, and especially in the snow, why? I am very curious about what all of you out there have to say.

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Paul, do you play Cass Benton much in the winter?
Dang! I usually wear shorts til the first snow hits the ground. Of course, this is not a big deal to me since I am use to wearing a kilt all year round.
I too was a lil picky last year. I still went out in knee deep snow, just more like once a month as to a few times per week now. This weekend I played along with Paul at rolling hills then squeezed in Lola. Today we played both Indy lake courses then I met up at cass to return a disc and squeeze one more in. I'm so used to winter discin I don't even notice the extra layers now.
amen!
would love to come and visit. always wanted to spend some time in Alaska. especially to do some dog sledding! and of course to bang some icy chains!
they pull all the baskets in madison. got any you can send my way ;)
sorry, no. hoping to win the lottery so that I can start my own dg resort and have more money to know what to do with.....then I can send you some.
Come on up!
Five years ago we moved to Austin, TX from Massachusetts where I lived most of my life. Me and my fiends played year-round in all conditions in Mass. We were routinely the only ones on the course in the winter and I never understood why. Sure it's cold and sometimes snowy, but winter golf is a load of fun, presents new and interesting challenges, you generally have the course to yourself, and the scenery can be really stunning in a fresh snow. And. let's face it, if you live in a cold climate, you have to get used to the cold weather anyways, or you'll spend a good chunk of your time indoors, and Wii Disc Golf can only get you so far :).

Key tips for winter golf:
1. If there is snow, tape a ribbon to the bottom of your disc. I would generally use a 2-3 foot piece of dark colored curling ribbon, attached to the middle of the underside of the disc with two thin strips of duct tape in an "X" formation. You'd think it would mess up the flight of the disc, but it really does not effect it too much. Plus, it's a small price to pay for being able to find your disc in the snow.
2. Wear waterproof boots. Nothing is worse than freezing cold wet feet all round.
3. Keep disposable hand-warmers in your bag. I only used these a couple times, as I'd generally prefer to just let my hands adjust to the cold, but sometimes it was just too cold...
4. Bring extra towels, especially if there is wet snow on the ground.
5. Watch your footing! Falling on the frozen ground or pulling a muscle is no fun.
Lars wins ,hands down.
Somewhere,someplace there's snow on the ground and we deal with that very well down here in Florida.So,pack up your disc bag(s),throw your shorts,sandles and muscle t's and head down.you'll be able to play ball golf if so inclined,but why.
Enjoy the pleasure of dg anywhere/any time.Wait,let me stamp off the sand from my feet so I'm not tracking any into the car.hit chains.
that was awesome! where was that taken?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968