www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

This question was posed to me on the course yesterday, and quite frankly I was stumped! What is the origin of the terms Hyzer & Anhyzer? Obvioulsy, we all know what they refer to, but what is the origin of the words themselves? I figure there are enough smart people on this network that somebody might know. Any ideas?

Tags: teminology, terms, words

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great Question!!!
The name hyzer probably arose from the “Hi Sir” greeting typically extended to expert disc tossers in the late 1800’s although the true origin of the term is still in dispute.

Found this on skyhoundz.com as well as others.

It's a start.
I found this reference:
"The name hyzer probably arose from the "Hi Sir" greeting typically extended to expert disc tossers in the late 1800's although the true origin of the term is still in dispute."
According to the book “Frisbee” (ISBN#0-911104-53-4) by Dr. Stancil E.D. Johnson the term Hyzer is the discs angle of roll (Sideways tilt at “whelm”(the disc’s first period of flight)). The Hyzer Angle is named for H.R. “Fling” Hyzer, father of the “Flying Flutterball”.

Here is another reference I found as well.
That's only if the person was to your left. If the person was to your right you said, "Unm, Hi Sir" ;-)
This makes the most sense....Term comes from a name....Anhyzer being the opposite...as in "an" or "anti" which probably has early latin origins...referring to an opposite of something.

Antihyzer = Anhyzer.
Intruiging. Looks like we're making some progress here. I knew we had some pretty smart people in here!
Yeah, that's the easy part! Looks like "G" might be onto something there with the "Hyzer" part too...
Well1 you learn something every day..
Darn, I was sure Anhyzer had sometine to do with beer.
You mean I been wrong all this time?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968