www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

We need Oshtemo Township residents to attend the Parks Board meeting on Feb 9th. If you want to add more holes and prevent the shortening of existing holes, please be there! A buddy of mine went to the Oshtemo Township meeting today for the Parks Board. We need a strong representation of township residents at their next meeting on Feb 9th!! They are looking at changing holes because it is "intimidating" for walkers to have to walk near the disc golfers. WTF!! I'm not that bad! Please attend if you love Oshtemo Disc Golf Course. Be there and bring your neighbor :)

Tags: best, course, disc, ever, golf, kalamazoo, michigan, oshtemo

Views: 47

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well you gotta go to the meeting with Larry on Feb 9th and speak up for the course. So far I've found that you and Larry are our most likely candidates. I really don't know anyone else who lives in Oshtemo. I plan on posting a flier on the message board in the near future if Larry hasn't already.
I actually recall the meeting when the course was first being installed that we attended. Mark Ellis did a fine job presenting, and the board at the time was very responsive to disc golf. They were very unresponsive to the gentleman(anti-disc golf) who freaked out about the golfers and threw a disc into the wall. Remember that when attending meetings and remain calm. Hope all goes well on this.
Tell your buddy THANK YOU. The golfers in this discussion have brought prominent points of matter to this thread and hopefully these points come across at the meeting and are met as well and as logical.
If the park board wants a compromise, in order to satisfy all parties, maybe we should let them shorten the 3 holes that intimidate the walk path, but they must allow use to add 6 more holes. I would willing to sacrifice the length of 3 holes in order to add 6 more. Just a thought...
that is probably not the best argument- it may only upset more people and get the entire course pulled :)
Even though there are probably more disc golfers out there on any given day, think about how many of those disc golfers actually live in Oshtemo township- my guess is probably only a few. So, it is not their taxes going into this. However, I would think that a lot, if not majority of the walkers do in fact live in that township- and it is mostly their taxes that pay for the upkeep. Therefore, I am sure the board wants to keep the people who are paying for it happy.

I like the idea of a compromise that Destraayer recommended.
6 more days! Who's going to the meeting?
Juan Aguirre lives in Oshtemo TWP. I will let him kno
Info on tomorrow night's meeting from the Kalamazoo Gazette.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/02/oshtemo_consi...
Here are a few points of discussion for the board...

1) Count the number of players that travel INTO Ostemo to play DG... how much revenue is that for the city vs the resident walkers? Players from afar buy food and other stuff locally.

2) Ditto for the World Championships played THERE, again, importing money INTO Ostemo.

It might turn into a debate over whether the park is for the locals or to generate revenue for the city, if it does, I think the city officials will appreciate the revenue idea.

This argument help keep the St Ignace DG course from being shut down a few years back when they had a similar town hall meeting.
Did the meeting end up getting canceled because of weather? If not, any word on how things went?
I havent talked to Larry since yesterday and I forgot to ask him about the meeting. I'll ask Saturday at the Cracked Plastic
The Oshtemo meeting went well. The chances of any holes being changed are slim at best. An extra 6 holes will not happen, but we do have other improvments to the course added (i.e. tee signs, benches, ...). This is still vary early in their process and it will be some time before things are acted on.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968