www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

What do yall think about what happened this weekend?

(copied from innova's site http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/393-ulibarri-true-sportsmanship.html)

Reposted account by VPO tournament director Chris Browning: "GG (Garrett Gurthie) won in the playoff over (Paul) Ulibarri on the third hole. Paul exhibited one of the greatest moments of sportsmanship I have ever witnessed in disc golf. On the first playoff hole, both players' second shots were close. Garrett was out and on ...a 15' putt, he hit dead center chain and the disc dropped in the basket. However, what happened next I have never seen before the disc hit the bottom of the cage and bounced out."

Not wanting to win on the flukiest of shots, Paul threw his putt into the dirt and both players finished out with a 4.

"On the next hole Paul got into trouble on the drive and had to pitch out into the fairway. GG's drive was laying nicely, and he threw his approach to about 20' away. Paul's upshot was parked, but GG missed the putt to win, forcing a third hole."

"The guys played Hole 1, which is a 594' hole that has a dogleg right into a small opening in the trees about 80' from the basket. Paul threw a great drive that landed about 20' short of the opening. GG uncorked an anhyzer that glided perfectly through the opening and left him putting for 2 from about 35' out. Paul's upshot landed about 10' behind GG's drive, and Paul attempted a long jump putt that fell short, leaving him laying three by the basket. GG missed the long putt, but had a drop-in 3 to secure the win."

Stay Classy, Paul Ulibarri...

Views: 95

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

your side of the argument is equally strong, but what makes the story sweet is that ulibarri didn't think it was fair and he chose to try to win fairly or not at all rather then to take the huge victory. wouldn't have felt right to him. shows a lot of character.
saying it and doing it are two different things wade. most people that say they would've done the same thing probly wouldn't. talk is cheap. you're lucky i know you're one of the very few guys who would definitely do the same thing uli did.
Good question. I highly doubt that he would've. But there's no way to tell from here. There's no way to know that that throw is going to be the throw that wins.
truely classy and great sportsmanship that you just don't see everyday. way to go Paul!
I am confused Uli had a 3 laying by the basket and GG dropped in for 3 to win?

Secondly Bounce outs happen all the time, if it had happened on the last hole in regulation or the first in extra holes shouldn't make a difference. Classy? Sure drag it out to extra holes and then talk about how classy it is.

As they probably agreed to split the 1st and 2nd place cash and so they were playing for a trophy and these days it is often a picture in a frame or a disc. I would be interested in knowing what the trophy was.
ROFL, Feldberg... How many times have you seen a putt in Ball golf or even putt putt rim and out or hit too hard looks like it is going in and pops out...

We have no respect because we do not have enough exposure and not enough people are contacting the BIG corporations for sponsorships and the Big Networks and letting them know they want to see Disc Golf on TV. Not to mention Courses need to improve.

How often are Ball Golfers -15 on a course? It happens at many courses in disc golf. We need to act legitimate, talk legitimate, and stop all the pot smoking in broad daylight around the courses if we EVER want to get taken seriously.

BLAH BLAH BLAH Football players get caught all the time BLAH BLAH BLAH... Yea and it is because of random drug testing done by the league! They do that crap at home not on the field.
No, GG was out and first to putt. His Par went in and came back out the basket. So he took a 4.
Sorry, but I simply don't think that winning is being unsportsmanlike. That stuff happens and you just do your best. Since when do you base your game off of somebody else's game? This is a nice story but I don't believe that it demonstrates sportsmanship. Sportsmanship is shaking the other guy's hand whether you win or lose. Sportsmanship is playing the game right and treating others with respect. IMHO sportsmanship has nothing to do with shanking one into the ground on purpose. He should have sunk his putt and then congratulated his opponent on a good fight. He could have said that he thought for sure that putt was in. But what he did does not demonstrate sportsmanship.

Was GG in any way unsportsmanlike for dropping in for the win?
talking on hole 3. the way they have it written sounds like they both took a 3 and GG won.
I'm With Jim on this one!
I agree with much of what "Essential" says, but you lost me when you started up the culture war again. Let it go dude.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968