www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

What do yall think about what happened this weekend?

(copied from innova's site http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/393-ulibarri-true-sportsmanship.html)

Reposted account by VPO tournament director Chris Browning: "GG (Garrett Gurthie) won in the playoff over (Paul) Ulibarri on the third hole. Paul exhibited one of the greatest moments of sportsmanship I have ever witnessed in disc golf. On the first playoff hole, both players' second shots were close. Garrett was out and on ...a 15' putt, he hit dead center chain and the disc dropped in the basket. However, what happened next I have never seen before the disc hit the bottom of the cage and bounced out."

Not wanting to win on the flukiest of shots, Paul threw his putt into the dirt and both players finished out with a 4.

"On the next hole Paul got into trouble on the drive and had to pitch out into the fairway. GG's drive was laying nicely, and he threw his approach to about 20' away. Paul's upshot was parked, but GG missed the putt to win, forcing a third hole."

"The guys played Hole 1, which is a 594' hole that has a dogleg right into a small opening in the trees about 80' from the basket. Paul threw a great drive that landed about 20' short of the opening. GG uncorked an anhyzer that glided perfectly through the opening and left him putting for 2 from about 35' out. Paul's upshot landed about 10' behind GG's drive, and Paul attempted a long jump putt that fell short, leaving him laying three by the basket. GG missed the long putt, but had a drop-in 3 to secure the win."

Stay Classy, Paul Ulibarri...

Views: 80

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He deserved to loose!! Not playing to win within in the rules is not being a good sportsman, it's just being stupid.
I don't agree that what Paul did was not demonstrating sportsmanship. They very idea of sportsmanship is based on a individuals beliefs of fair play, ethical behavior, etiquette, mutual respect etc... Someone who is considered a good sportsman is playing the game for it's own sake, or as we say "for love of the game"

We can say it was stupid, we can say it was the most class act ever. But as for whether or not it was demonstrating sportsmanship is up to the individual directly involved to make that call when the situation arises. In my opinion, Paul did something that he thought was fair and gave Garrett a fair chance to win. But that call was entirely up to Paul. Garrett could have missed the very next shot too and returned the gesture to Paul. Would that have been good or poor sportsmanship? I don't think we can truly answer this without being Paul and Garrett. I was their game.
no way man, no way. sportsmanship can be way more than shaking a guys hand. read "senior's" comment or mine earlier and try to understand while whether we agree with Uli or not, what he did was max level sportsmanship. he played the game fair BY HIS OWN DETERMINATIONS, not by the super-robbed putt.

i think most guys here that are knockin uli aren't looking at the story close enough. he wanted to win fairly, or not at all. in his mind that robbed putt must not have been fair. strong minded individual and got a lot of character here.
oh btw this is blazo logged in as the force on accident hah
Did anyone watch the PGA Championship this year? Dustin Johnson had a chance to tie and get into a playoff in order to win. He violated a rule (inadvertently) by grounding his club in a sand trap. The other players didn't throw their games because of Dustin's mistake. They were there to win plain and simple. I simply don't base my game on other people's games either good or bad. I base my game on me. I am no less of a sportsman for trying to win. It is a competition.

As Senior said, "Paul did something that he thought was fair and gave Garrett a fair chance to win". Why did he give his opponent a chance to win? Was he afraid of winning? To me it makes no sense. The whole point of competing is to try and win. And if you do that while being respectful of others and following the rules you are by very definition being a sportsman. At the end of the day you shake your opponents hand and say "Thanks for a good fight". And then you celebrate your hard earned victory.

BTW we all have said that we were robbed on a putt, but we all also know that we screwed up if even by the tiniest of amounts.
Trying to compare this to Dustin Johnson grounding his club at the PGA Championship is ludicrous! Grounding your club in the PGA is a known and written rules violation of the game. By grounding your club in the sand, you may very well enhance your lie. That is why it is a penalty. A disc popping off the bottom of the cage and high-jumping out of the basket is just plain bad luck. Paul didn't want to walk away with a victory that he knew would feel hollow for quite some time (if not forever). His decision is not the same one that everyone would make, for certain. It was a decision he made to ensure that he wouldn't have to foot-note his own personal memories.

BTW, I do believe that these guys had probably agreed to split the cash beforehand. In order to fully understand this scenario, I think you need to keep this in mind.
"The whole point of competing is to try and win"

Jim said that Paul was not demonstrating sportsmanship. I say that competition and sportsmanship are two different things. It is irrelevant that it is a competition when it comes to exhibiting sportsmanship. Demonstrating good or bad sportsmanship to your opponent is possible in all types of situations and extends to everyone around you including the spectators. It is true that Good and bad sportsmanship are key ingredients to a strong and healthy competition, but IMO saying that Paul did not demonstrate sportsmanship is like saying he did not play disc golf that day. He was there, he played, and he made the call. For all we know he could have went out that day with the goal of playing for fun and didn't care if won the event or not. So saying that the point of a competition is to win is to forget that people compete for all kinds of reasons and self justify the results regardless of the official outcome. It is all relative. Not absolute.
Sure it was poor sportsmanship. Sportmanship is being a good looser or a good winner, by giving it your all until the event is over. By not doing his best to win, Paul is as much a quiter as if he had concided the match. Also, by letting up he tainted Garrett's win, becouse now the concensous is that Garrett won only becouse Paul let him win, instead of putting him away. By throwing his disc in the dirt Paul stopped competing and that is not sportmanship!!
I am sure both of those guys would love to dispute these claims. Unfortunately (and I know this is going to sadden some of you), top pros don't look at this website as often as you think. It's probably not in their favorites bar, they don't make posts everyday, they don't have 8-zillion posts (hmmm...who could I be talking about?), and they don't give a stinking pile what everyone thinks about their on-course actions. "Sportsmanship" does not have an absolute definition...let it go at that.
Which was it? Sportsmanship or not sportsmanship?

You just said it was poor sportsmanship, then said it was not sportsmanship at all.

I will say it again, Paul demonstrated sportsmanship based on a situation he was involved in. Good, Bad or ugly it was his call. We can't expect to judge this sitting behind a computer.
Maybe comparing this situation to Dustin Johnson was a poor analogy but I was just trying to make the point that professional players in any sport (the ones who are at the top of their game) don't make decisions based on their opponents strengths or mistakes. They base their game on what they know they are capable of. I think that there probably is more to this story than what is known. Maybe they did agree to split the cash. I am not doubting that Paul is a good sport. I am just doubting whether throwing the disc into the ground somehow makes him a better sport in any way. And I say no it does not. Especially if they agreed to split the cash ahead of time. So we will have to agree to disagree on that one.

And although I don't win all of the time I still play to win. Otherwise I'm just wasting my time and not trying my hardest. I had a chance to win singles last week (only a foursome showed up) but I let the back nine slip away. But it was unfortunately mine to lose. I was leading or tied for the lead after nine holes. And I did not concern myself with anyone else's game. Maybe next time I will come out ahead. I am just going to have to play a better game. Would have netted me an extra $15 and some respect. And since we were playing skins I probably would have won a few more of those as well. But close enough doesn't count.
This just shows what a cool guy Paul is, although I already had that impression of him. Paul has been traveling the country kicking ASS all year. Going to a playoff for the trophy is a SICK experience. He just loves the intensity and wanted to battle it out!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968