www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

What do yall think about what happened this weekend?

(copied from innova's site http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/393-ulibarri-true-sportsmanship.html)

Reposted account by VPO tournament director Chris Browning: "GG (Garrett Gurthie) won in the playoff over (Paul) Ulibarri on the third hole. Paul exhibited one of the greatest moments of sportsmanship I have ever witnessed in disc golf. On the first playoff hole, both players' second shots were close. Garrett was out and on ...a 15' putt, he hit dead center chain and the disc dropped in the basket. However, what happened next I have never seen before the disc hit the bottom of the cage and bounced out."

Not wanting to win on the flukiest of shots, Paul threw his putt into the dirt and both players finished out with a 4.

"On the next hole Paul got into trouble on the drive and had to pitch out into the fairway. GG's drive was laying nicely, and he threw his approach to about 20' away. Paul's upshot was parked, but GG missed the putt to win, forcing a third hole."

"The guys played Hole 1, which is a 594' hole that has a dogleg right into a small opening in the trees about 80' from the basket. Paul threw a great drive that landed about 20' short of the opening. GG uncorked an anhyzer that glided perfectly through the opening and left him putting for 2 from about 35' out. Paul's upshot landed about 10' behind GG's drive, and Paul attempted a long jump putt that fell short, leaving him laying three by the basket. GG missed the long putt, but had a drop-in 3 to secure the win."

Stay Classy, Paul Ulibarri...

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When i read it, it wasn't that deep for me. I envisioned myself in a battle with my good friend and teammate over 4 rounds, having it come down to one hole and his putt being a great dead on putt wherein something truly "fluky" occurred. i wouldn't feel too great about that win. out of respect for him, i'd miss purposely, although maybe not as obvious, and push it to the next hole. pretty sure that's how paul felt. some of you are being pretty good jerks, .... . you'd probably find something wrong with Mother Theresa too I'm sure. check the mirror d-bags.
For those of you that wouldn't intentionally after that fluke occurred , what would you have done if it was the same situation and a car drove by and beeped right in the middle of his putt and that made him miss?
or if something fluky had happened to his drive or upshot?
This is nothing short of ridiculous. I remember once when I popped a putt straight into the basket and as I reached down for my bag it came right back out the front of the basket. Fluky? Not really. I missed and there was nobody there to cry for me. We all play by the same rules. Poor GG. Whatever. This is a sport and competition. That kind of thing happens all of the time.

I told this story to a friend of mine and he simply said "Well the guy didn't want to win".
Didn't want to win ? That is the dumbest statement I've ever heard. If a putt hits center chains then touches the bottom of the basket and pops out that's not a fluke? How could you say "well he missed the putt" that' s the 2nd dumbest statement ever! Everyone knows that the only real flaw in our sport is the inconsistencies of the basket plain and simple and to think that it was the putters fault when he pures it right into the middle and it pops out is stupid. Maybe your putter popped right out cause it was a DRIVER!
I'm crying right now. Our baskets suck, etc. They were both using the exact same basket. I know that I won't convince you of my viewpoint but that's OK. I stand behind everything that I said. He missed that putt for whatever reason. A miss is a miss is a miss. Maybe in tournaments we should not just judge whether the putt went in or not but if the basket treated the putt in a fair manner. If we then call it a "fluke" do we get another go at it. Doesn't make sense does it?

I take responsibility for all of my misses and don't blame them on the basket, the wind, or anything else (including the disc).
FKN Blazo... If any one of us would have been there to see the putt we would have seen GG getting completely robbed and for no good reason. Like when someone putts, and its obviously going in, they bend over and pick up their mini to look up and see that their putt has jumped straight back at them by some happen chance of the way the basket and chains catch or do not catch. It sucks.
Also, have you guys ever played for hundreds of dollars in a professional sanctioned event? It's the time of your life.
Stop posting under my name Sean.
lol. my laptop logs you in automatically though! and i realize it too late.
hey at least i made it clear that time haha

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968