www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Here's how they are calulated as I understand it:

1) rated rounds within 1 year are eligible and averaged
2) 4 most recent rated rounds count double
3) rounds that are more than 2 standard deviations away from the average are not used

Do these seem right? I don't know if I remember all the numbers in the rules correctly.

Tags: pdga, rating

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1) All rounds within 12 months of each player's most recently rated round are counted. If that's less than 8 rounds, we go back up to another 12 months until we find at least 8.
2) The most recent 25% (one fourth) of a player's rounds are double weighted.
3) Rounds more than 2.5 standard deviations below a player's rating or 100 pts, whichever is smaller, are dropped.
Thanks Chuck, exactly what I was looking for!

Could you reply a little quicker next time, 3 minutes is way too long to wait for a response! ;)
Chuck-
Are you sure about the 2.5 standard deviations? I had a round that was dropped last rating period and it was barely more than 2 standard deviations less than the average. Now that round is included because I've had some higher rated rounds than before which has increased the size of one stdev for me, but I just wanted to make sure.
(I know it's not really that big of a deal but this stuff bothers me with my math and physics experience)
Yes I'm sure. However, consider that we calculate SD without your lowest rated round included and before double weighting. So the SD we use may be smaller than what you calculated, making the 2.5 more likely?
Chuck Kennedy said:
Yes I'm sure. However, consider that we calculate SD without your lowest rated round included and before double weighting. So the SD we use may be smaller than what you calculated, making the 2.5 more likely?

So is everyone's lowest rated round always excluded, or do you mean just the ones below the 2.5 SDs?
It's excluded to determine the SD only. If in fact it's really a bad round, we feel it shouldn't be included in the SD calc since it would then increase the SD so the round might end up getting included when it shouldn't be.
I swear it's true, when I saw the initial post I almost posted: "4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . here's Chuck!" :)

Josh Taylor said:
Thanks Chuck, exactly what I was looking for!
Could you reply a little quicker next time, 3 minutes is way too long to wait for a response! ;)
I was wondering what are the minimum rating requirements for each division? What does your rating have to be to get bumped to Am1 and Pro?
Another question: Is there any benefit (ratings-wise) to play a higher division than you're rated for? For example, if an Intermediate player with a rating of 900 plays a sanctioned tournament, would it affect her rating any differently if she played in Intermediate or Advanced, shooting the same score--theoretically, of course? Is it rated any different;y between "levels"? My first thoughts are that you have less of a chance of winning in higher levels, but if that somehow affected your rating it may be worth the pay-off (or lack thereof).
Some people think that playing with better players helps you shoot better. But there's no better rating for the same score if you play in a higher division. You can sometimes earn more points even finishing lower in a higher division than a lower division. If you play in higher divisions that play the same courses but in different rounds than lower divisions, there used to be a slight boost in ratings for the same score. However, now we combine all the scores played on the same courses even in different rounds before doing the ratings so the same score now gets the same rating in all divisions.
Thanks, Chuck, for the always prompt and enlightening response.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968