www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

http://www.pdga.com/your-league-now-pdga-ratings

Is this just a money grab by the PDGA, or is it a way to get players who don't play many events a better rating?

Will the league ratings be separated from tournament ratings?

I think its a great idea--but there will be a whole lot more 1000 rated players amongst us if players get to count every league round played at their home courses in their ratings.

Views: 573

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not sure this is a good Idea.

Ok so now whose gonna play by 100% PDGA rules during league? No flipped disc, no gimmes, etc.

Even if you are a 1000 rated player and you've only posted scores at your home course, you'll have to play to your rating at other courses during a tournament. I'm not so sure that is a benefit.

It's an interesting change.

It's not a money grab.  It's an expansion attempt, to spread the PDGA beyond regular tournament players.  The new board member behind it campaigned on this concept.

Nor will it inflate ratings and produce a bunch of home-course 1000-rated players.  Ratings are (very generally) based on all the players playing a course at a given time.  Since the majority will be on their home course, the effect will be a wash.

Personally I have no interest in it at all.  But if a lot of people like it, and the PDGA becomes more valuable to more disc golfers, that's fine with me.  And if not.....well, credit people for trying something new.

Well said.

Our club generates around $6oo annually through a $1 league fee per event (2 weekly events, one on Tuesday evenings March through October and the other year round on Sundays) Approx. $350 of that is from our Tuesday singles bag tag league. If our club chooses to participate then the PDGA will get approx. $200 (1/2 of $350 = $175 + $25 fee) I would say our club is probably an average size club (55 members). I'm guessing there are probably at least 15 clubs in our State that are around our size or bigger. If 50 % of clubs in our State participate that would come out to around $1500 going to PDGA. Multiply that by 50 (I know some States are much bigger but lets be conservative) and we're looking at $75,000. That looks like a big number but if the PDGA ends up having to hire an additional person to input all of the data - it's really not that much.

I'm not sure of the details---I haven't been paying real close attention---but part of the idea is to greatly increase PDGA membership.  That will also increase income.  Not necessarily profit, but income.

1) It is not a money grab.  It costs the PDGA more than $1 per player to process tournaments for ratings. 

2) If anyone runs PDGA leagues, it will be a way to expand the membership base. 

3) It will have no effect on ratings.  Your rating is generated off the ratings of other players at the event, not off of the course itself.  Most people at a league are home course players so they all might play a couple of strokes better than they might on an unfamiliar course.  If all of the gators play a couple throws better, no one gets a better rating for it. 

It would be difficult. Some players in leagues get handicapped.

I'm with Donny on this, our club does 2 handicapped singles and then a best shot doubles, how can you keep track of all that and get an accurate rating?

well...your mostly correct... you really can't use best shot, alternating and worst shot variations of Dubs...But scratch scores before a handicap is applied ...could be turned in.     

Handicapped leagues still have scratch scores available to post so players can get ratings presuming you have at least 5 PDGA propagators playing. People sanction doubles events all the time just to get insurance even though you can't get ratings. So I can see some leagues sanctioning even if they don't have enough PDGA propagators to produce ratings each week just so they can get insurance required by the Park Dept.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968