www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Is it illegal to use a disc with personal permanent markings on it?

I found in the rule book sections dealing with golf disc markings and sanding it down and stuff like that but nothing about permanent marker.

maybe that means its okay.

Views: 1567

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Marker is fine because it doesn't change the weight or flight characteristics.
actualy your supposed to in a tourney to identify that i disc is yours. i think you can be penalized if you dont.
802.01 Discs Used in Play

F. All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked in ink or pigment-based marking which has no detectable thickness. A player shall receive a warning for the first instance of throwing an unmarked disc if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. After the warning has been given, each subsequent throw by the player with an unmarked disc shall incur one penalty throw if observed by two or more players of the group or an official.

Permanent maker or sharpie is fine and make sure all of your discs are marked before a tournament
The key in that rule is the NO DETECTABLE THICKNESS. If it's thick, it adds weight and might possibly change the balance of the disc depending on the positioning of the ink. if you can run your finger over it and not feel it, you're good. Almost everyone marks their plastic with Sharpies with their name/pdga/phone/email in some combination.
This also includes the discs that have been dyed correct? The dye does not have any thickness to it. I have seen many Dyed discs that were awesome looking and wish that I had the talent to do something like that.
Yep, Dyes are included. I HAVE seen people try to spraypaint their discs, which is detectable thickness and therefor illegal.
Sanford used to make a truly permanent marker, then Sharpie bought them and changed the formula :((
what is a good way to REMOVE permanent markers off discs? (i.e sharpie) I have to change my number and can't get the old one off my champion viking, but i tried (aerosol) hairspray and it removed silver sharpie off my star wraith, gl flow, and z buzz. It also removed my hot stamp on my viking but not the number.
Mr. Clean magic eraser works the best without hurting the disc
Great article Donny, and make sure to have a smoke to congratulate yourself.

When all else fails buy MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) at Home Depot and sniff it until you don't care about permanent marker anymore.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968