www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I recognize that we are all plastic geeks here but how many of you find discussions of how well this or that disc will help your game some what misguided? Climo is a x-time world champ, but do you really believe its due to his disc selection? Cale can turn over a predator like no ones business, but that doesn't mean I can! These guys could beat me throwing 15 year old plastic and garbage can lids.

Nothing makes a disc fly better than the skill you put into it, whatever it be. And considering how much power you can use in a shot dictates its stability I also find general statements like "this is the best turn over disc" terribly misguided as well. Whats your take?

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I tend to carry 16-18 discs--but most of them are 'role players' in my game--in all honesty, and I think most players would agree with me, is that you will use 6-8 discs on 80% of your shots--as a matter of fact, I might start a survey--when your keeping score, how many throws do you make with each of your discs?

Having the latest and greatest is nice--but having several 'go to' discs is crucial! Know what your discs do before you confuse yourself with more options.
After rereading the op, i'll say that the info one gets is guided by the info they provide.
If I ask "what's the best hyzerflip disc" and pretty much leave it at that, I will get what others preferences are and maybe a couple people giving beginner suggestions based on the asumption that I haven't learned the shot yet.
Now if I state accurate distance and flight for the discs I already throw, my run up, and any form issues I'm aware of- I feel I may get some decent advice. Ofcourse sorting good/bad is needed.
I hear you Ryan! 90% of my shots off the tee come from 4 molds. The mold selection changes from time to time, but their job remains the same.

One of the local pro's in my area, Luna, play tourneys with Revo's Mini bag. I've never seen him fill that bag, they just flop around with too much room and then he schools your arse with 5 disc's. I witnessed him beat Brad Hammock @ DGLO for the win one year like that!
I agree, most places I go I only end up using a few discs and nothing near what I always carry.
Well, most people are asking for an opinion on a disc. So in this forum, you will get muliple responses to said question. I would say most if not all people who respond to a post or put one up saying "this is the best turnover disc" are trying to be helpful. When I've responded to or put up a post asking about a disc. I tend to add how I throw and my standard distance. This tends to help sometimes.
I also think I stand a good chance against Climo if he only threw a garbage can lid. Just think how hard it would be to keep that thing in the basket ;)~
Hmm...now to try to get Climo drunk, question his disc golf skills and then challenge him to a match where he uses a garbage can lid. He would still win. The laws of disc golf bend for him. He is "the one." "There is no basket." etc..
Even if it never happened, this is awesome!
This is hilarious. One day we found a big pizza prep pan from Pizza Hut made out of hard plastic. It was huge (probably around 16 inches diameter). One person in the group had to throw it on every hole. We even drew a face on it and called it Wilson. Have some fun.
thats a good point David.
I think if I had said to myself " hmm, I can make this cobra do what I want and it throws better than anything else I have right now, I think I'll stick with it !" 20 years ago. and then never tried any new discs that came out because of that logic, my game would have not improved much at all over that time period.
True to a point. Do the newer drivers get more glide/speed than they use to? Yes, but they haven't improved my form. I can throw a Roc or a Buzzz much better now than I could 15 years ago.(And yes I know the Buzzz isn't that old.) The fact that I worked hard on my form had nothing to do with the disc I choose to practice with. Do I honestly think one of these is better than the other, No! I can throw both comfortably. Do I think people who convince themselves that one is better than the other are silly as horse feathers, Yes!
Good point. Technique is always more important. It's like a bad driver in a Porsche. Still a bad driver just with more to lose when they crash.
its like telling your friend how your wife likes sex, like it will help him in his relationship..... may work, may backfire. you have to find what works for you. Swan couldn't be more right, really, you can't dude. hit the frikn nail on the frikn head, dead on. i actually took my friend to a field a month ago, told him i didn't want him to look at the discs, but to focus on muscle memory and form alone, so i fed him discs and told him to hyzer his whole bag. we picked them up, then i asked him to throw them flat, then we picked them up and i asked him to anny all of them. i think he learned alot that day, about what reviews say, about what others say, etc. you have to know what discs work for you, your arm speed, your style, etc. funny thing, he questioned why he had more than 2 molds after throwing all of them.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968