www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am new to dgolf (8/09) and new to this site so if this old info, sorry in advance.

I bought a Innova Starter bag in aug 09 and it was tearing and developing holes in less than 10 rounds.

I bought a can of Plasti-Dip from Lowes and painted it on the bottom of the bag.  For the uninitiated, PD is a rubber-like coating (think of the blue coating on your channel lock handles).  It is tough: kinda like a mixture of Chuck Norris' callouses and asphalt.

Anyhow, 3 good things happened:  no new holes developed, existing holes were sealed, bag bottom is completely waterproofed.

Added Bonus:  It cleans up way easier than the fabric bottom.

I think this is good info for anyone who plays at rocky/muddy/wet courses (even those with tougher/heavier denier bags)

***I edited this on my phone and the whole thing went bye-bye so this is rewritten...same gist tho

Views: 444

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the heads up. I know I'll be going to Lowe's on Sunday. Could you give me an idea on the cost and were it's at in the store. I'm thinking paint maybe?
It is 6-7 bucks a can (depending on spray or brush-on). There is plenty in the brush on can to do a big bag or two, depending on coat thickness. I used about 1/3 of a can to do the small innova bag with a good thick coat (it is still waterproof and pretty much unharmed). I recommend masking your bag and wearing gloves (although it cleans easy when wet). Cleaned off easily w acetone while tacky.
I haven't tried the spray yet.

@ my lowes (westminster, CA) it was kept in the spray-can lock-up.

Here's the general info:

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
Awesome idea - I have to try this!
Can I paint it on my kid and dogs?
It's not a question of can...it's a question of should. Mark, you absolutely CAN paint it on your kid and dog. But SHOULD you ? No. When I worked at Home Depot, we dipped everything in this stuff. We used to get another 3 or 4 weeks out of shoes by recoating them.
Interesting concept! I was gonna apply some spray on water sealant this weekend, but perhaps I need to look into this option...
Interesting idea. I've seen plenty of people fitting a just-the-right-size plastic bag around their disc golf bag for those really soggy days, but I've never heard of this. It sounds intriguing, but I'd like to hear from others who have done this before I try it on my bag. It would be one thing to try it on a cheap and/or worn out bag, but until/unless I hear from others who have done this successfully I don't think I'll be putting my new(er) discarrier through this process.
I'll let you know in a few days!
Clarification may be in order here:
I am not suggesting anyone coat their whole bag with this stuff...just the bottom of the bag. Water sealant would still be preferable/advisable on the upper deck.

And as far as reservations about coating more expensive bags...i can understand that. It is a simple decision on a ripped 15 buck bag. I will say that when I get a discarrier or competition bag i will be doing this damn near immediately (once the new car smell fades). It is really flexible so I can't see it damaging the cloth (and apparently comes in a s#it-pot o' colors for any 'Type A' aesthetic preservation folks). If it was damaging to the cordura, my 600 denier bag woulda wilted months ago.

I took it out this morning to a pretty muddy course in anaheim and it's still high and dry. We just got lambasted w 5+ inches of rain in a 5 days so it was the worst I have been in so far.
your kid could do a spot on Al Jolson for about 3 months...but you'd likely get AH of the month from social sevices and PETA
Hum, wish I had seen this earlier. I just bought a new bag because of the condition my old one was getting into. I think I will wash it and give this a try. Thanks dude
In time it will flake off.
Tried it on the Disc Player Disc Golf Bag (as a test).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968