www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'm interested in what the etiquette is in various places for a card or group playing through a group ahead of it. In casual play, of course.

What old timers have told me is that if it is decided and agreed that a faster group should play through, then the group ahead throws its drives on the next hole, followed by the second group throwing its drives. Then the second group approaches and putts out while the first group waits. Then the second group finishes.

Is that what happens on your courses?

Now, how to decide who should play through and when is a different story. If there are groups on nearly every hole, it makes no sense - to me - for anyone to play through.

Groups throwing multiple drives or discs, or larger than 4 people, should pretty much be prepared to let anyone through who catches up; when they catch up. IMHO

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm old school because that's exactly how we let a group play through.

During our weekly minis, only one or two persons play through, and there is usually only four to six person max on our scorecards. So, anyone in a group of three or more have to wait for those actually playing the mini, or jump to the back nine whichever.

We almost always explain the mini and invite everyone to join the next week as well so we don't appear to be jerks.

Your humble opinion is seconded.
Most of the time the faster group play the hole out, start to finish while the slower group watches. Some times on a long hole, if the faster group is far enough away where they can't reach them with a drives, we will throw before they complete the hole, but most of the time, we just wait intil the hole is clear.
Well you appear to be a jerk! I don't care about your mini, I have just as much right to be there as you and just because you feel privileged doesn't mean I should have to wait for your group if my group is playing faster regardless of the size.

Concerning the original post, this is how I see a play through practiced nearly everywhere I go. And about the comment that no one should need to play through, there are many times that a group is so slow the groups ahead of them keep getting further ahead so it makes perfect sense to let others play through.

I've been playing this game irregularly for more than 20 years and now that I am playing more often it seems so many players consider themselves elite and about the rules of etiquette. I can tell from reading the posts on this board that it's the regular players and not the newbies that have the most disrespect for the game.
If it is obvious players behind you are playing fast I let them through, but if I have a bunch of groups in front of me that Im waiting on then yes, its pointless...
In reference as to whether or not he is a jerk, that would be a no. The course he runs doubles on was designed and maintained by that very group that play doubles at it. And your right you do have just as much right to be there. but even in casual rounds if a group of 4 pops up behind a group 6 playing doubles they will both play at generally the same speed. For the most part everyone that I throw with enjoys the laid back atmosphere of the game and despises being rushed. As I am sure you do too.
Yeah Mike, I'm the Jerk that raised the funds to put in the back nine holes, and I'm the Jerk that sponsors the course and adjacent roadway as part of the Keep the Park Beautiful program. Oh, and the Jerk that ran the two charity events at the course. And the Jerk that raised the funds for cement teeboxes. And the Jerk that raised the money to replace the two stolen baskets too.
You don't know me but you're right you have just as much right to be there, doesn't mean you can interupt a regularly scheduled event. We usually do let those groups play through if it's obvious they're waiting on consecutive teeboxes.
Which is what I was eluding to when I mentioned the weekly mini, it's usually four or five groups or cards.
We always just play with the larger group for that hol. And then play ahead of them on the next hole.

I would also like to say dave has a pretty solid case on not being a jerk. I wish someone would put in concrete at my course. Not to say that any single person could do it but we cant raise the cash, you know how money is.
There's that elitist attitude I'm talking about. Do you own the property the course is on? If not then your weekly mini has no precedence over my play. You're right I don't know you but you come of as a jerk and you said you were trying not to.
And I think your really inconsiderate and jerk. If he did all that work for that course I think 1 time a week his play takes precedence over whatever you would be throwing. Thats B.S. if you had done all that work, and put in all that time you'd think a little differently. Talk about an elitist attitude.
I wasn't saying he was a jerk just that he appeared to be one. Casual or not the course is probably on public property and I'm just trying to have a casual good time myself. Unfortunately people feel like they are above the rest of us just because they plan a weekly tourney. We play for money every time we go out does that mean we're more important than the other players? No it means we need to play at a reasonable rate and let ANY SIZE GROUP that is playing faster to play through. I just took exception to his limiting the size of groups he would let play through.
Terry there are two courses in Mt. Pleasant. CMU and Deerfield. At the CMU course, there are people teeing off everywhere to the extreme that I deem the course hazardous to play. I tried on Sunday evening, and I had driven and walked to my disc , there were people driving on the hole already. I had to hide in the woods for a group of 10 to tee off and go past my twosome. At Deerfield everyone will let you play through or will invite you to join their group and meet new people. I personally believe that if you are waiting to tee off on a hole, you should be able to play through.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968