www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

A friend and I are going to play in our first doubles tournament in a few weeks. Anyone have any pointers for strategies and/or any different rules we should know about ahead of time. I'm a lefty and he's a righty.

Tags: Doubles, rules, strategy, tournament

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

one tip I can give you is that the person who is better (if either of you is better then the other) have that person go second on the drives and the putts, or what I like to do is, alternate so that you never throw a disc more then one time in a row, whoever putted out or made the last putt, have the other person drive next hole, this keeps things totally divided equally.
You already have a good setup with one person being left and the other righty... I would say on the holes that favor the left handed player, have the opposite (right-handed) person throw their drive first. And on the holes that favor a righty, have the lefty drive first..you get the point. It will be easier to have the pressure on the person who has a higher percentage of throwing a good drive, just incase the first drive isn't parked.. haha Oh and one more thing, have fun.
one tee off first on the even and the other take the odd. if you use your drive have your partner putt, and vice versa.
during our sunday's doubles proam rounds, i'm the am so i always throw first. if i park the approach shot, for example, it gives the pro the "greenlight" to run at the basket on his shot. it's a safe way to try to shave a stroke. also, on a drive, if the first thrower parks a hole, the second thrower simply goes for the ace.
you could always do the regular alternate... one play drives odd holes while the other player drives even... then the closest shot to the basket, have the opposite player throw that shot... makes things simple and it gives the lessor player more potential shots...

However given the you're a lefty and he's a righty.... I do like Eric's idea... it is a good team setup with 1 left and 1 right... as long as both of you throw the same way... (a lefty throwing forehand and a righty throwing backhand has the same effect and is therefore pointless... )
Let the am/lesser skilled player throw first on all drives. This gives the Pro more options on how to attack the hole depending on the am result. Ace run, have to lay up, different route or type of throw that might work out.

Upshots: Understand the importance of laying up and playing safe on longer shots. We all want to go for it, but someone has to take one for the team to get the best score. Nothing worse than a player throwing first going 50ft past the basket, taking away a possible run for the next player.

Putting: inside 60 feet. Don't leave it short, make sure it has a chance, chances are both of you aren't going to miss the comebacker that close(hopefully)
I like to putt my own drives and the same for my partner.

Understanding and knowing the skills of your partner is key.
The main thing is go and have fun...What Clenk said is spot on....That's the strategy if your playing Best Shot format.

The only thing I can add...that seems to happen a lot when newbies first try Doubles...best shot that is...is the first guy to approach/putt and misses, might forget his partner has to shoot too and pick up the marker...no biggie, just a first timers common mistake.
First guy parks it, second guy runs it. That simple.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968