www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'm curious if anyone here has experience using practice nets for disc golf practice? I've been getting into doing the "right peck" drills made famous by Blake T and Dan Beato and thought it'd be sweet to have a sports practice net in my backyard that can handle it without falling apart over time. I came across this one on Amazon: http://amzn.com/B001CF4Z26 which seems to have the best ratings and is portable albeit a bit pricey. I could easily just hang a weighted furniture pad / blanket somewhere with a square target in the middle too (much cheaper but less portable as it needs something sturdy to hang from). 

Thoughts?

Tags: beato, blake, disc, golf, net, peck, practice, target

Views: 199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have heard of DGers where the winter is way too brutal to be outside, using sheets, just normal bed sheets.  I imagine a sheet/net combo would work really well.  There is a video or a pic of some guy in a basement and his set up to keep his muscle memory alive in the winter.
That's not a bad idea. I do have a truck bed cargo net somewhere. The holes are too big but with a sheet it would work perfect.
Golf nets would work if the netting was strong enough...I've had a couple nets and they held up well for years against thousands of golf balls, but I'm not sure what a disc would do to the netting.

Furniture pads would work just fine and it'll be cheaper.  I'm sure the one you listed would work just fine.  If it can handle baseballs, I'm sure it'll handle discs hitting it.

Although not a practice net, and not extremely portable(but certainly possible), I have designed my own basket that costs less than a crappy MC Sports basket. It works just as good as a mach 3, if heavy chain is used. Visit: discmichigan.wordpress.com to check it out.

I have been using it for three years, it's weather proof, and not very heavy; maybe 35 pounds. I love it to death.

And if you go this route, you always have bragging rights that you made it yourself!

Happy Huckin',

Destin

I've actually got a Innova DISCatcher Sport basket which I love for putting, but I was looking for something that will handle a bit more force for upshot / drive target practice. I'll probably end up going the furniture blanket route as it's durable enough to handle strong impact and won't tear up my discs.

*edit* that's quite a nice custom basket though, better than most I've seen.

Oh, ok.. I'm sure a furniture pad would work for that! Sounds like a good idea.

I'm sure i'll talk to you again soon,

Destin

I must admit the chains are kinda light on my DC Sport basket and having only 1 layer kinda sucks, but it's pretty easy to pack up in the trunk of my car. I probably would've gone the custom route too but the DC sport I got was a gift so I can't really complain. :)
I had thought about this recently. Some great ideas here. Thanks!
disc catcher sport basket is awesome. I got one the first year I started playing and never used it much till last year (so sat around for three summers) and if you bang putts with that basket and its one set of chains then you will be even better at a basket with a double set of chains (really only applies to hitting post dead center/ cut throughs; a bad putt is still a bad putt whether there is 18 chains or not).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968