www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am wondering what some of you prefer for weights in your discs when it comes to differences in putters, mid-ranges, drivers and roller discs. I am about to do some shopping for new discs. My go-to disc right now is a 165g TL, a weight which i narrowed down to being the best weight for me in terms of accuracy, consistency and distance. My Putter (a Star plastic Aviar) is 175g and again, the weight I feel most comfortable with after trying different.

What I am wondering is if its correct to have this different range of weights for discs that do different flights? Should my hyzer disc be a few grams heavier to help avoid turnovers and create a more predictable hyzer? Should i by a Roc that is heavier because its a slower speed disc? Should a roller disc be heavier or lighter than what you prefer for your go-to straight driver?

Also, what about the weight of a disc used exclusively for thumbers and tomahawks? Lighter or heavier?

Lastly, what about a long ranger putter? A disc with more glide, a lighter disc, or just stick with my 175g Aviar and practice?

Views: 46

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So you like your guys thin and relatively short?
My "sweet spot" for drivers is probably 167 grams. Although I think that the Star TeeBird I hit an ace with weighs in at 172g. Anything in that range is good. Maybe a little towards the lighter end for a turnover disc. Maybe a little towards the heavier end for an overstable disc that you would throw in a headwind.
Experiment and see whats right for you !!!
i throw heavy everything. and it's generally around 170 and up
I have thrown mostly heavy stable rollers so that's what I'm used to using. Started with 180 Stingrays, then Eclipses, Champ Valks, ChampTeebird, Champ Beast for a while, Champ Boss, now an S-PD. I like to land them almost vertical and when they're stable, they hold that line for a long time and fight the turn over. I can get them to keep a straighter line than an unstable disc that has to land right, turn left, then fall over on its back going right again (RHBH). I can do cut rollers with a more stable disc better too. The release is a lot higher over my shoulder, but can put a lot of snap on it. Unstable discs just rurn over too quick and get messed with by any wind easier too.
8000 gram mega roller, more or less..............a hubcap. Thats just how I roll.
Putters - 168g

Mids - 175 - 180

Drivers - 168 - 172 (depends on stability of disc)

Rollers - whatever works for the shot I need

Overhands - 168 - 170

Pigs - 180 (I like my meat hooks with weight)
I thought it was set at 150, interesting to see they are flexible on it, which makes you wonder why they just don't adopt the PDGA disc specs, it would be good for the sport.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968