www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hey!

I've been plating disc golf for about 3 years now, and I've finally gotten the hang of my driving and approach part of the game, but I've always felt uncertain about my putting part of the game. For example, my brother plays like once a month and he's a better putter than me, but I always beat him by 15-20 strokes because my drives are around 400-450' while his are at 250-300' max.

Anyway, that's not really my point; I'm posting here because I need advice on putters.

I've been through a lot of putters over my years, and I've never really found that one putter out there that's right for me. Drivers. mids, approaches are pretty much settled now, but not putters for actual putting.

I'll try to remember all the putters I've gone through and tested but did not really like and why:

Latitude 64 Zero Spike - great grip, nice and shallow, but too flippy. Sort of just comes out wrong out of my hand.

Aerobie Sharpshooter #3 - it's a weird disc, I know, but it's really grippy and very shallow. This has been my go-to-putter for a long time, but the reason why I've never really settled on it is because it's just too darn overstable. It's a beast, so nothing outside of 30' will go consitently at the basket.  Very nice for forehand approaches, though, so it stays in my bag anyway. I either have to throw it crazy hard for it to maintain straight or predict a fade at the end. Which I'm not too fond of, because it has the most insane low speed fade ever. It just plummets after it's lost it's speed.

MVP Proton Ion - a nice disc, really, but I've never really gotten the hang of it. The soft ones are nice and grippy, but the medium ones, which I used for a long time, are just too slick to get a confident feel for. It is a nice disc, but I've never really gotten the hang of this disc. It can go left, right or straight in.

MVP Proton Anode - I really like the MVP discs, but with this, as with the Ion, there's something that just doesn't feel right. I have this in the medium version which, with the Ion, is just too slick to the feel. But I really like the way it flies. I might go for a soft one of these.

Innova Dart - tried this in Star and R-Pro. It's just too deep for me, althoug the R-Pro has a really good grip. I still keep it my bag for longer approaches or short hole drives.

Innova Aviar - I've never really gotten what all the fuss is about. I've never liked this disc. It's too deep and too slick to get a comfortable feel. I know a lot of my mates use this, but this is a disc I'll never get the hang on, and after trying for too long, I've just given it up.

I've tried a few others as well. but nothing worth mention more by name, really. Innova Polecat, Vibram Sole, Vibram Ridge and innova Rhyno.

So I guess some of you might think there's something wrong with my form, and I'm open to that, but the most important thing for me when choosing a disc is how it feels in my hand. That applies for drivers and mids as well. I have an Echo Star Roadrunner which is my go-to-disc for the moment, mainly because it feels really good in my hand. That gives confidence and helps for a cleaner release. I can throw that thing about 400' simply for the fact that it feels right in my hand.

So if any of you have any suggestions on putters that are shallow, grippy and somewhat neutral in flight, then please share! I've been looking at the Discraft Banger GT, but I've spent a lot of money on discs that I don't use, so I'll ask here for advice before I buy every single disc the world has ever produces for that one true disc that feels right for me :)

Views: 646

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

you must fill me in on these ninja posting thechniques.

It seems to me that all the links on this site dont work unles i right click with my macbook.

Hit the share link on the video you are watching. (Embed code, copy it).

You should see a menu bar on the top of the reply are in dgrus. 

Click on the video one (3rd from the left) paste embed code.

No need to be a Ninja here. Simple.

Now you try 'grasshopper.'

"Take the videos from my hand."

This is a use what feels best to you thing but I'll tell you what I use. I use a omega super soft for short to mid putts. When I need a little more power I use a r pro rhyno. My omega barely has any fade so its great for short and mids but when I need more power it turns right that's where the rhyno comes in. I can power it more as it holds better. That's my 2 cents but as I said use what feels best to you.

Always make sure the Putter you are using , Fits your hand and feels comfortable.

Exactly! That's why I've come here for advice. How the disc flies is secondary, 'cause you can always learn the flight of it, but if it doesn't feel right in you hand, you're never gonna trust it.

Unfortunately not all putters fly the same.

I used an Avenger SS as a putter for about the first few months, and even though it feels somewhat right in the hand, I've always felt that a driver isn't ideal for putting, and this is why:

Just about all drivers have very high fade at low speeds. They are usually more narrow than a putter, thus reducing impact absobtion area when hitting the chains, so it has a higher risk of cut-throughs.

I also used to do everything forehand for the first year, even putting. And it's sad, but to this day, I can still hit more putts using forehand than backhand, but when you miss a forehand putt, it's gonna go way past your target compared to what a backhand putt will.

Anything within 15 feet works as a putter, really. Even a brick should do because you're so close to the basket. But when it gets really tricky is when you start to push out at around 30 feet. You can't rely on a driver to hold the line you want it to, so you need something that can maintain it's stability throughout the flight.

I appreciate all your tips and advice, guys! Watched the video, and it's a really good instructional video. I'll try some it next time I go practising putting. I've always been more of a spin putter, though. Even though I push within 15 feet. I feel it's easier to hit the target with a push from that close than with a spin. The spin putt tends to be too hard some times from that distance and might end up getting spit out.

So far I've looked up the Banger GT, the Yeti Pro Aviar and the Voodoo. All these sound really interesting and I might just give them a try. Keep the suggestions coming, though :)

The two I go back and forth with are the Challenger and the Wizard.  Both have good stability and feel good in my hand.  But, for long spin putts I tend to use Soft Magnets or Magics.  They both fit the mold of feel good in my hand, but I like the straighter line they hold when I'm outside of 40'.  Like most people are saying, it's going to be a preference thing.  Find the one you're comfortable with, then build your confidence with it.

Two of my mates, who are both great disc golfers and also great putters, use Wizard and Aviar. The one that uses Aviar actually became national champion in Norway last year. He has some monster putts and he always nails all the putts within 30'. Just a machine. This is a video he posted of him practising putting:

http://vimeo.com/37121986

It's not super exciting, but it just shows the amount of control he has on putting. And he is obviously a push putter, as is my other mate. The one that uses Wizards is not as good on putts, but still really good, but he has some monster distance drives to make up for it. Crushing an easy 500' and I've seen him nail 400' holes with a Buzzz.

Like the driveway putting. Good practice.

What's that white stuff?

Snow & Ice.... Cool.

Live in Florida USA.

Me putting with KC Pro Aviar.

Like the glide, they stay aloft longer than most.

Outside 30 plus.... If you are ever here, come to Tuscawilla Park, Daytona Beach.

It would be crazy for me to offer what type of putter to try, because out of all the discs out there. IMO the putter is the most personel choice you can make. It's all tactile in the feel as it's been mentioned. I use an APX Swirl, because it's money for me, but I like a stiff putter with great grip and that is stable to understable. Heck, you may hate everything I want in a putter.

I'd advise, if you haven't already? Is to check out the Discraft putting video as well as the one on the previous page (push putting).

Hehe, yeah. It's snow and ice at least 3 months a year over here, so the season gets a little cut off due to that, but we managed to get a place to train indoors this winter, though. 

And yeah, Aviars... everybody loves 'em. I could never get the hang of 'em. If I were to go for an Aviar, it would have to be a Yeti Pro. That's probably the only Aviar that'll feel right in my hand.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968